ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can't compress enough!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tabby KirbyCan't compress enough!!
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 2:48:21 am

Ok, So yes, this is my first time using after effects, but i really need some help.
I made a simple 5 minute count down with a background that I made in photoshop and the first time i rendered it, it was 44GB. So after about an hour of reading i found out I needed to compress it, once i figured out how to do that I used Sorenson3, simply because I had seen it said that it was a good compressor and got it down to 11GB. This weekend I talked to a friend who has been working with this stuff a couple of more months than I have and he said to use H.264, when I did that It only brought it down to 7.46GB.
SO I have no clue what else to use or if there is another setting on the video that I have yet to set right, if I could get some help that would be awesome I have been waiting for this to be done for over a week now, thanks,
Tabby

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Can't compress enough!!
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 7:26:40 am

It always helps when you give a bit more information in your post- like what version of AE, what are the specs on your system, what format are you working in (frame size, rate, color space).
For compression AE is not the best tool. You can run your rendered piece through Adobe Media Encoder or you can render your comp directly from Encoder. For more advice I would need to know also how you want to use the final piece- will it be introduced in a cut together with other material, will you post it on YouTube/web, DVD playback, BlueRay...? There are presets for almost all your needs in Encoder.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Tabby KirbyRe: Can't compress enough!!
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 10:34:46 am

Sorry about that, I've got CS5. And with this video we will be using it for a pre service countdown that will be projected, simply put with some music. So i'm importing it into an .mov file with Quicktime NTSC at a frame rate of (29.97) and the frame size is 1920 x 1080.
....i Hope that enough info, again, sorry about that.
-Tabby

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Can't compress enough!!
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 2:40:11 pm

[Tabby Kirby] "we will be using it for a pre service countdown that will be projected, simply put with some music."

This is a case where you need to think backwards, from the point of the playback device and the projection device. Can the projection device handle 1920x1080? What kind of file does the playback device require -- the frame rate, the media container (e.g. Quicktime, AVI, etc.), and the codec?

Before you make something in AE, you need to find out the answers to those questions.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Can't compress enough!!
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 3:38:44 pm

If you have playback from a computer make sure (like Dave suggested) that your projector can do 1920x1080. If not, then it's overkill.
You will find plenty of presets in Encoder for 1920x1080 and 1280x720.
If your playback is from a regular DVD player you will most likely play a SD widescreen file.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Thomas HardyRe: Can't compress enough!!
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 8:12:50 am

I don't know sorenson3, but if you are trying to encode in h264 make sure you are using the addecuated bitrate, you can make the video the size you want with h264, try with Ripbot, set it to 2pass, and lock size to the size you need.

Thomas Hardy.-
Newbie and Learning.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Can't compress enough!!
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 2:45:52 am

I agree with the point about thinking backward from delivery requirements. This page gives some good resources for getting started with such issues, especially this article here on the COW about planning your work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Tabby KirbyRe: Can't compress enough!!
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 12:41:00 pm

Thanks guys!
I was able to change the size of it to 1280 x 720 and then ran it through Adobe Media Encoder and it put it down to 385MB. So, thank you guys very much I have learned a lot from this.
-Tabby

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]