ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exported video not playing properly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Kennedy
Exported video not playing properly
on Jul 25, 2011 at 4:30:05 pm

I am working on a 1920x1080 HD video. I converted it from a direct from camera MTS (168 MB) to an MP4 using Sorensen Squeeze (12 MB). Then in After Effects I used keylight to remove the background green screen and synched audio. When I exported the file out as an AVI (because I wanted the most loseless format for editing in Premier) and played the file the audio seemed to run fine but the video was running extremely slow and randomly stopping (the FLV was 8mb). I have double-checked that I am running 24 FPS on all versions of this video throughout the conversion process.

My question is whether the lag time in the export would be more due to the large file size and a lack of processing power (only running 4 GB of RAM) or if I missing something in my encoding/ converting processes. I have not previous had issues with encoding out an alpha flv. I know more information may be needed, but, as I am somewhat new to this, please bear with me. Thanks for any assistance.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Exported video not playing properly
on Jul 25, 2011 at 5:18:59 pm

Your hunch is correct: a lossless file is not intended for direct playback.

See Adobe FAQ: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player? [link]

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Kennedy
on Jul 25, 2011 at 5:39:39 pm

I had a feeling it was something like that, but I thought it was odd that it wasn't working corrrectly on my flv export either. And one thing that I did forget to mention was that I can't get it to run properly once imported or copied over via the dynamic link in Adobe Premier where I am processing my final edits. I will look over the links and see if that helps. Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 25, 2011 at 5:42:56 pm

I missed the bit about the FLV not working, either -- sorry!

What version of AE are you using? If you're using CS4 or earlier, I'd point you here:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]