ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Bad Comp Crashing AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
S.J. DeLuiseBad Comp Crashing AE?
by on Jul 23, 2011 at 2:40:14 pm

AE CS5 just crashed when I did the following:
Created a new comp - copied some layers from a previous comp - modified an anchor point on one of the masks in that new comp.

Now the project won't open without a crash.

THE PROMPT: One of those big red stop signs that says it's saved a copy of my project and shows the last log message with a dynamic link filepath.

THINGS I TRIED THAT DIDN'T WORK: Unchecking OpenGL, unchecking multi-process (it wasn't checked to begin with), restarting AE, trashing prefs.

THE WORKAROUND: Started a new project, import the entire project into it, and immediately drag the bad comp to the trash. (I'm pretty sure it's the one comp because any others I click into will open fine. As soon as I click into that, crash)

So the workaround so far has enabled me to continue. But this has happened in this same project before. What seemed to fix it earlier was resaving one of the .ai files it contained. By resaving I mean, copying and pasting the content from an .ai file into a new one. So maybe it's a corrupt piece of .ai content, not sure. But now the project has gotten more complex. And I'm hoping to avoid this in the future.

And this is a project with a deadline that still has a lot to be done, which makes me nervous. Any thoughts out there?

People say my motion graphics are moving.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Bad Comp Crashing AE?
by on Jul 23, 2011 at 5:34:29 pm

Have you installed the recent updates? They fix a lot of problems, including some crashing problems.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

S.J. DeLuiseRe: Bad Comp Crashing AE?
by on Jul 24, 2011 at 2:39:03 am

Yep, all up to date. But thanks for the reply.
So far, since trashing the bad comp, there haven't been any problems. Knock on wood. I was lucky that comp was easy to recreate from scratch. I just don't want to concede to that solution in the event that this happens with a more complex comp.

People say my motion graphics are moving.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved