ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Shatter effect blurring texture layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian HopkinsShatter effect blurring texture layer
by on Jul 21, 2011 at 8:36:15 pm

I'm trying to use the Shatter effect to explode a ground plane. Unfortunately the texture is being quite badly blurred when the camera (and I've tried all 3 camera options), is in position (low angle looking across the ground as you might expect - nothing unusual). The preComp which is feeding the texture is clean, large squares so the blurring is very noticeable. I could use Particular but I like the depth that Shatter offers. The Pre Comp with the texture is large (3000 x 4000px), due to the foreshortening needed.

The image is reasonably sharp when the camera is rotated -75 on the x axis. I need it to be around -99, and the blurring makes it useable.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Shatter effect blurring texture layer
by on Jul 22, 2011 at 3:56:46 pm

Not really clear- maybe posting a few stills would help.
Have you considered Trapcode Form for the job?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Christian HopkinsRe: Shatter effect blurring texture layer
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 10:58:26 pm

Sorry for not posting an image sooner.

The image shows a solid with and without Shatter applied. It seems to be the acute angle in conjunction with Shatter results in a horrible, unwanted blur.

Thanks for your suggestions on Particular, I had tried it actually, and Form but I was looking for volume that Shatter can add to the fragments, without depth it's not a convincing floor. Unless Particular and Form can have 3d particles (like a cube). I couldn't figure out how or if that's possible.

It should be a 3D job I suspect, but I don't have the knowhow, and this job doesn't have the budget.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved