ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Newbie Question: Why does my text keep shaking?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tse
Newbie Question: Why does my text keep shaking?
on Jul 21, 2011 at 7:28:12 pm

I am trying to make a simple text move across the screen. However, when I set one keyframe and then another to move across the screen (only two keyframes in total), the text shakes as it moves across.

The only effect I have on it is the fast blur and even when I take that off, the text still shakes horizontally as it moves across.

Any ideas as to why it does this? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Newbie Question: Why does my text keep shaking?
on Jul 21, 2011 at 8:10:13 pm

It sounds like judder. It is the bane of motion designers and cinematographers the world over. This page [link] should help.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chris Tse
on Jul 21, 2011 at 8:42:03 pm

I'm not sure if that's the problem... I tried increasing my fps, slowing down the motion and replacing the keyframes and the problem is still there. Motion blur also doesn't help because the text is swaying from side to side across the screen (looks kinda like a strictly horizontal pendulum).

Perhaps I didn't fully interpret the article because I'm still new to this program but is there anything I can do to fix this?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 21, 2011 at 9:10:14 pm

How are you viewing it where you see this "shaking"? Is it a RAM preview or are you rendering it out? If you're rendering it, read this [link].
Any chance you could upload the project file or link to a video example?

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chris Tse
on Jul 21, 2011 at 9:45:55 pm

It is a RAM preview, and I'm viewing it on full resolution.

It is this type of horizontal motion (I didn't follow this tutorial) but it shakes horizontally while it moves across.

Thanks for your help by the way :)

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:20:18 pm

Wait a second... that's not After Effects – Sony Vegas isn't it?

Return to posts index

Chris Tse
on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:06:57 pm

Yes, I just used the video as an example of the motion of the text, sorry for the confusion. I am indeed using after effects to achieve a similar result.

But the shaking haunts me!

Return to posts index

Barend Onneweer
on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:58:19 pm

Do you mean the 'juddering' edges on the back type in the beginning of the clip?

That's the variation in anti-aliasing on each frame, because the text is rendered on subpixel level.

The way to avoid this is usually motionblur but if the movement s fairly slow you can also make sure you move the text in full pixels per frame. This can be helped using expressions - but it of course limits the flexibility in timing.

Barend

Raamw3rk - digital storytelling and visual effects

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 22, 2011 at 1:15:12 pm

If the tips you've been given don't help, give us a link to YOUR video, not some example of someone else's motion or upload your project file for us to peek at.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Chris Tse
on Jul 22, 2011 at 7:47:56 pm

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WV98ELW4

Here is a download link for the project file and this text also moves horizontally when it should just be travelling across the screen.

Return to posts index

Barend Onneweer
on Jul 22, 2011 at 8:55:27 pm

What you are seeing is the on-the-fly low quality 'pixel-aspect ratio correction' in AE. You're using non-square pixels and AE is stretching the picture in realtime to it's intended aspect ratio. But AE's realtime PAR-correction defaults to a low quality scaling that results in the nasty anti-aliasing jitter that you're seeing.

Turn off PAR correction to double-check this is the case (button in the bottom of your Comp Viewer).

Raamw3rk - digital storytelling and visual effects

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jul 22, 2011 at 12:52:54 pm

Add a Fast Blur of .3-.7 and that should eliminate the judder.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]