ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HD Screen Capture workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Boyle
HD Screen Capture workflow
on Jul 21, 2011 at 7:15:30 pm

I occasionally have to work with screen capture footage of websites. I was struck by two things from a recent Google+ video:

first, the high resolution and funny gridlines between pixels. can anyone provide insight on how they got the hi-res and explanation for the gridlines?

thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: HD Screen Capture workflow
on Jul 21, 2011 at 8:05:28 pm

[Brian Boyle] "first, the high resolution and funny gridlines between pixels. can anyone provide insight on how they got the hi-res and explanation for the gridlines?"

Either they zoomed in with the browser before recording, then added the gridlines, or it's not a real screen capture.

I'm a bit of a control enthusiast, so when I have to animate a web page, I generally rebuild it in AE from the ground up. It's a lot more flexible and opens up more design and animation options than simply recording a screen cap.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 21, 2011 at 8:11:28 pm

Typing at the same time again, eh Walter?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 22, 2011 at 8:50:30 pm

Maybe it's my slow connection at work, maybe it's the compression, maybe it's because I've been squinting at computer monitors for the past seven hours, but when I look at that video, you know what I see?

I see a beta web site running test data that's been shot with a camera: a real-live TV camera. After that step, it's a matter of editing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 21, 2011 at 8:07:59 pm

I can't see YouTube videos due to restrictions on the network where I work, but I have a pretty good idea of what you're talking about.
That's not a screen capture. That's an animation based on the website design. Gridlines were created in Photoshop and layered onto the image.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Brian Boyle
on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:02:45 pm

very interesting. I am inclined to think you are right-there are some grid squares that seem to contain more than one pixel's worth of info. if it is built in PS/AE, they went so far as to fake a green and magenta edge distortion. impressive.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 22, 2011 at 1:13:56 pm

If this were an actual screen capture, there would be no edge distortion. That's another good clue that it's faked.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Brian Boyle
on Jul 22, 2011 at 7:37:24 pm

this may be a silly question, but why not?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]