ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ribbons..Words to Particular, or not to?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Constable
Ribbons..Words to Particular, or not to?
on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:34:29 am

Hello!
I have an After effects conundrum.
I need to create long flowing ribbons, with tapered ends, that are constantly waving and have words that travel slowly along them inside the ribbon. The ribbons start right, off screen then "flow in' to their position, wave for a while then flow off to the left and this is looped.

My first thought was to precomp the words into straight lines, animate their position, then use wave warp on the precomp, and bingo you have wavy ribbons with moving, warping words...

BUT, I need to have tapered ends to the ribbons, to achieve this i need to use a path based effects like 3d stroke or particular, Id tried 3d Stroke but I could get the taper to look right, and found the movement hard to control. I have some experience of using particular, but have no idea how you can get words to flow along the paths, with the kind of warping results than wave warp gives ou on the text.

I think with some time, using particular could be the answer, as its 3dness might allow me to create interesting results with how the paths overlap in 3d etc, plus you can get really nice wavy motion with turbulence, its really just getting the text to flow inside the particluar ribbons, with distortion that beats me!

wow, I hope that makes sense..

Any thoughts hugely welcome, deadline approaching fast....!

Cheers!!

Eugene

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Ribbons..Words to Particular, or not to?
on Jul 21, 2011 at 12:06:42 pm

My first thought would be to have the text follow an animated motion path. Since it seems you already have the ribbons you would have to animate the paths by hand to match the movement of the ribbons.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:30:26 pm

What's wrong with using Wave Warp again? If you precomp your lines and text together, you should be able to use Wave Warp on the precomp. You should be able to get tapered lines using long and thin shape layers and/or masks on solids.
If you use something like Particular to do it (again in a precomp), you could still use Wave Warp on it.

If you want to avoid Wave Warp and be really crazy, you could create your tapered lines with Particular and shoot out your letters as particles with another Particular layer and use the same turbulence settings on both.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:27:50 pm

Use the FreeFormAE effect to create the wavy movements. It's a lot more organic than WaveWarp, IMO.

Use a Solid and a Mask to create the tapered edges.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 21, 2011 at 6:08:51 pm

Doh! I keep forgetting about FreeForm. I'd definitely check that out.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jul 22, 2011 at 11:25:19 am

Agreed- Free Form can do it!

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 24, 2011 at 7:14:50 pm

This tutorial on the COW shows how to use the Puppet effect to do something like this:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/CC_puppet_particl...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]