ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Arrow orient on path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David BiederbeckArrow orient on path
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:20:42 pm

Is there a way to have an arrow follow a path so that the head of it, along with the tail, flows with the path?

I'm looking to not have it just change angles with path, but actually stretch along it.

I'm trying to keep this one out of Cinema for time purposes.

Return to posts index

Barend OnneweerRe: Arrow orient on path
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 11:12:06 pm

I'd probably draw a path on a solid for the arrow to follow. Set a keyframe on mask shape.

Create your arrow point on a separate layer. Copy the mask keyframe and paste into the position parameter of the arrow point layer. For this layer enable 'autorotate along motion path' in the Layer Transform settings.

Apply the 'stroke' effect to the solid and animate the start-and endpoint of the stroke.

And then tweak to get the wanted timing and effect.

Raamw3rk - digital storytelling and visual effects

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: Arrow orient on path
by on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:10:58 am

Hi there,

Barend's technique is a good one to use however if you use the "Write On" effect instead of the Stroke effect you can link the Brush Position parameter to the Shape layer's position parameter with an expression so that the end of the path always follows the shape layer. This way the two will always match, even if retimed.

You can also make sure that the arrowhead automatically orients to the path by selecting it and going to Layer > Transform > Auto Orient. And choose Orient along Path.

Hope this helps.

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Arrow orient on path
by on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:33:37 pm

In addition to the good suggestions from Angie and Barend, you could create your straight arrow in a precomp and apply Bezier Warp (or Mesh Warp or the Puppet Tool) to the precomp to animate the whole thing.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

David BiederbeckRe: Arrow orient on path
by on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:35:41 pm

Great suggestion... Time to get after effectsing.

Return to posts index

Adrian ThompsonRe: Arrow orient on path
by on Feb 17, 2015 at 11:24:50 pm

Hi David,

I know this post is very old, but I wanted to share in case it helps other people searching like I have.

We've developed this new After Effects script, Easy Arrows, which allows you to attach an auto-orienting arrow (or any shape) to a stroke, with the click of a button.

Hope you find it useful. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved