ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Compositing Hair

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason IbrahimCompositing Hair
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 5:03:49 pm

First time trying to do this...
I rendered my character in Maya, and in a separate pass rendered the hair with a black surface shader assigned to the character, and additionally rendered the character alone with the surface shader to act as an alpha?

Unsure of how to put this together in AE, a suggestion was to use the hair and alpha and use blend mode of difference?but doesn't work, so any suggestions please?

Thanks

Jason

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Compositing Hair
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 6:29:57 pm

Blend modes aren't useful for this kind of job. Try a Track Matte, like an Alpha or Luma Matte; each kind can be inverted if necessary.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason IbrahimRe: Compositing Hair
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 7:00:39 pm

Hi Thanks for the response.

Sorry forgot to mention that I'd also tried that and i get one of a few results, either the hair with a black torso, OR nothing, OR the outline of the hair up until the outline of the scalp, OR the hair excluding beyond the outline of the scalp.

Tried adding the last 2 together and still end up with the issue of a black torso...

Jason

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Compositing Hair
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 7:06:16 pm

Make sure all your passes in Maya have an alpha channel where needed in the image, then export again and use blend modes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Compositing Hair
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 7:25:23 pm

you want to composite the hair render on the body render... correct? so the hair render needs to have an alpha channel.

you don't want to set the body color to black and render, you want to hide the body and render the hair with an alpha pass in maya. you'll also want to hide the hair and render just the body in maya so you can composite the hair render (with alpha) on the body render in ae.

if you'll need to composite the body and hair onto something else in ae, then the body render should also include an alpha pass.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Compositing Hair
by on Jul 21, 2011 at 7:05:31 am

It's a tricky thing- if you render the hair with alpha, you get all the hair, the part that is behind the head as well, so comping that over the hairless character will not work. Instead of the black body/head, use a chroma green or blue shader with not reflection or shadows on (flat) - this way you can render that with the hair and alpha and then key out the color in AE to get only the hair that is visible on top of the head.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]