ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3d Box Gaps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Ridley3d Box Gaps
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 4:49:23 pm

Hi Folks,

This question is probably as old as time, but I've been searching and trying lots of different things to try and fix the problem and would really appreciate any extra info.

I've built and lit these 3d boxes in AE CS4. The Solid layer co-ordinates match up and each box has it's own null object to control it's position. I can't seem to get rid of the gaps for love nor money! Advanced Rendering Plug-In is enabled, layers are collapsed, resolution on full and the comp pixels are square and there's no motion blur turned on.

I've tried building the shapes in a different comp and switching the layers to Alpha Add. I've not messed about with rebuilding them using scripts/expressions as I don't see how that will help?

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated, even if it's just to say, "this is as good as it gets, go and learn lightwave!"

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: 3d Box Gaps
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 6:29:42 pm

Are they intersecting the floor layer? I did some tests here and it seems it shows up only when something is intersecting them. Otherwise moving 1 or 2 frames apart solved the issue.

Return to posts index

Adrian RidleyRe: 3d Box Gaps
by on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:39:21 am

Thanks Cassius. I've nudged the blocks 1px apart which has helped, but I need the floor for the shadows. The gaps only appear when the camera angle is such that the floor is directly behind the box, so I'm plugging the gaps with extra internal panels! A little bit hacky but it will do for now until I have time to learn a more appropriate 3d program!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: 3d Box Gaps
by on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:49:34 pm

Have you tried setting the blending mode for the box layers to Alpha Add?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:55:27 pm

Yup! no visible difference. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:10:03 pm

I've found something that's helped. As the cubes were sat on the floor layer, I didn't bother adding in a base layer. Now I have and that's helped a bit!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved