ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS5 Render Constanst Crashing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arthur SeawardCS5 Render Constanst Crashing
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 2:26:55 pm

Hi ,

I've used After Effects for a little while now , but whenever I try to render anything with the Magic Bullet colour Correction plug-in and/or the Reel Motion Blur plugin , the render will slowly use up all 4gigs of RAM and inevitably crash. The footage I use is gameplay from a videa game in .mp4 format @ 59.941 fps and is never longer than 2 minutes in length.

My question is , is this a problem with my computer, or with AE? this is because I read on this forum that AE can only use a max of 4gb of RAM, So will adding more RAM (i have 4gb) not have any effect? My processor isn't the problem I think as task manager shows it as only using max 30% during a render.

thanks for any help

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CS5 Render Constanst Crashing
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 2:45:58 pm

AE 10 can use as much RAM as you can throw at it! But let's be reasonable: 16 gigs is good for starters, 24 gigs is fine, 32 gigs is better, and more than 48 gigs is just silly.

And with only 4 gigs, you CAN NOT use multiprocessing. Turn it off and leave it off until you get more memory.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS5 Render Constanst Crashing
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 3:13:55 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "AE 10 can use as much RAM as you can throw at it! But let's be reasonable: 16 gigs is good for starters, 24 gigs is fine, 32 gigs is better, and more than 48 gigs is just silly.

And with only 4 gigs, you CAN NOT use multiprocessing. Turn it off and leave it off until you get more memory."

Dave, this is great! May I nominate this for Dave's Stock Answer #4?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Jul 20, 2011 at 3:21:10 pm

[Walter Soyka] "May I nominate this for Dave's Stock Answer #4?"

That's not a bad idea. I don't think people realize how much of a memory hog AE has become.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS5 Render Constanst Crashing - NOW Advanced memory/performance question
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 3:15:30 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "24 gigs is fine, 32 gigs is better"

On a geekier note, has anyone done any benchmark testing to see if the memory performance hit of using 32GB in a triple-channel system is offset by the larger amount of RAM available to AE?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Arthur SeawardRe: CS5 Render Constanst Crashing
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 3:35:22 pm

thank you so much for all your help everyone! I have just bought some 8gb 1600mhz RAM so hopefully that'll give my rendering a boost

Return to posts index

by on Jul 20, 2011 at 4:05:59 pm

8 gigs will help, but it won't work miracles if you want to use multiprocessing. No fooling.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS5 Render Constanst Crashing
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 3:10:16 pm

[Arthur Seaward] "I've used After Effects for a little while now , but whenever I try to render anything with the Magic Bullet colour Correction plug-in and/or the Reel Motion Blur plugin , the render will slowly use up all 4gigs of RAM and inevitably crash. The footage I use is gameplay from a videa game in .mp4 format @ 59.941 fps and is never longer than 2 minutes in length. "

If you're using AE CS4 (v9) or earlier, I'd suggest Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]