ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Using After Effects to convert Flash video from 24 to 59.94 DFTC?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich KyankaUsing After Effects to convert Flash video from 24 to 59.94 DFTC?
by on Jul 19, 2011 at 3:21:06 am

Greetings all, I've got a slight problem with framerate conversion I was hoping you intelligent folks could help me with. We have a project done in Flash at 24 FPS (in vector format, obviously), which needs to be converted to 59.94 DFTC. At what point in the workflow would it be the best to perform this? Our current convoluted, semi-nonsensical workflow consists of the following:

1) Make Flash video.
2) Import Flash video into After Effects, render scratch QT video from that, import it into Vegas.
3) Use Vegas to do the audio mixing and mastering.
4) Using After Effects, combine the .swf Flash video with the Vegas audio, and render through either Adobe Video Encoder or Sorenson Squeeze or whatever.

Since I'm trying to reduce as much ghosting as possible, I'm assuming the correct place to do the framerate conversion would be in step #2, since the video is still being rendered in vector format. Unfortunately, I'm also assuming that would cause me to have to redo the audio timeline to resync everything to the adjusted events with the new timecode.

As you can tell, I clearly have no experience in this area, so any help would be much appreciated. If I try to do this thing myself, without any outside assistance, there's a good chance I'll end up causing my computer to catch fire and explode, and that would be a bad thing because I occasionally use it to smash bugs when they walk by it.

(Oh, and I read the previous threads about conversion from 24p -> 59.94, but none of the videos mentioned were originally in vector format, so I didn't know if that gave me some extra flexibility to work with)

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Using After Effects to convert Flash video from 24 to 59.94 DFTC?
by on Jul 19, 2011 at 3:09:58 pm

i'm not a flash user, so forgive me if this suggestion just isn't possible in flash... but if you were looking for the best place to make a project 59.94, it would be at the beginning...

if you need to have the 24p version (and thus can't make it 59.94 from the start), then can you change the frame rate in flash to 59.94 before taking it to ae.

or, if your flash file contains only keyframed animation (no footage/rendered material), you should be able to just change the frame rate of the comp in ae to 59.94 and render that -- actually, you can just change the render settings to 59.94, and it will be fine, but it's nice to be able to preview the new frame rate at the comp level).

or maybe you can leave the frame rate at 24fps but export to quicktime directly from flash but change the frame rate of the export in the quicktime settings. you may not even need to go to ae if you can export from flash.

hopefully someone who has a flash to ae workflow will help out, but those are some workflows i'd look at.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Using After Effects to convert Flash video from 24 to 59.94 DFTC?
by on Jul 19, 2011 at 3:20:32 pm

My lack of Flash knowledge probably surpasses Kevin's.

Even so, I'm with Kevin: if you can fix the frame rates directly in Flash, do it in Flash. Don't fool with AE as an intermediary.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rich KyankaRe: Using After Effects to convert Flash video from 24 to 59.94 DFTC?
by on Jul 19, 2011 at 7:38:49 pm

I was trying to not use any program as an intermediary, but it appears as if that's not possible with Flash. Changing the framerate of a project in Flash is essentially the same as changing its playback speed, so the extra ~6 frames per second really screw things up. I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and change it in AE, since that option appears to be the slightly lesser of two evils.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved