ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

FreeForm and 3D interaction

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will BarryFreeForm and 3D interaction
by on Jul 18, 2011 at 2:39:58 pm

Hello all,
I'm trying to do a 3D effect with a piece of paper that's been folded in thirds.
I'd like to have it so the middle third section has a slight bend like it does when you lay it on a flat surface after it's been folded. I know, this doesn't make much sense. All will become clear with the video example at the end of this post.

So I've managed to do the bend with FreeForm bundled with CS5, but it doesn't seem to interact with the native AE 3D properly. It changes perspective when you move the camera but does not match with existing 3D layers at all.

On the below test movie, the middle section with the bulge is a 2D layer with FreeForm applied and the other two (AE 3D) layers are exactly lined up when you check them out in the orthographic views. You can see this clearly at the start of the video, however... as soon as you start to move the camera...

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4pqvI2Pn5p_MTdkN2RiZjUtMjE2Ni00NzE5LThiZj...

Anyone have any ideas or solutions? I've got a bad feeling this may be because FreeForm essentially has it's own 3D engine that doesn't match AE's own.

Thanks,
Will

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: FreeForm and 3D interaction
by on Jul 18, 2011 at 7:52:33 pm

Why not use the entire piece of paper and distort it using Free Form. No slices needed and no camera issues...
However that is strange- I have used FreeForm displaced layers with 3d layers in AE and had no issues. Maybe Chris Bobotis can give us a clue.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Will BarryRe: FreeForm and 3D interaction
by on Jul 18, 2011 at 8:47:41 pm

Hi Ted,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I forgot to mention that I did try that also, but the effect I would like is hard creases where it folds, and it seems that FreeForm only does 'soft' tangents. Unless I'm doing something wrong with the control points?

Return to posts index

Chris BobotisRe: FreeForm and 3D interaction
by on Jul 19, 2011 at 1:23:40 am

Will, FreeForm can do "hard folds" as well. Simply switch Tangent Alignment from "On" (default state) to "Off".

You would find this in FreeForm > Editing Controls > Tangent Alignment

HTH.

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

by on Jul 19, 2011 at 8:23:49 am

Ofcourse! I feel a bit of a 'duh' moment coming on.
That's solved the problem of how I can make the paper. Thanks very much. But I'll still send the project file along for your perusal if you have time to check it out - I am hoping to use FreeForm in other parts of the project.
Thanks again,
Will

Return to posts index

by on Jul 19, 2011 at 8:34:01 pm

Glad to help Will. Send a link when you are done.

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

by on Jul 19, 2011 at 1:17:19 am

Thanks for chiming in Ted and I would be happy to help.

Will, please send me you project file- remember to collect files and send it to chris@mettle.com.

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: FreeForm and 3D interaction
by on Jul 18, 2011 at 9:00:59 pm

whats your pixel aspect ratio? most build in camera effects don't see anything past square.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2011 at 9:25:43 pm

Thanks for the response Cassius. It's 1280 x 720 square pixel, so that rules that out. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]