ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

are expressions useful?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stanly boonare expressions useful?
by on Jul 17, 2011 at 5:08:38 pm

my work is prety dull. now for instance i divide a long video to layers and aply a pre made treatment to every layer. i ask my self , can expresions speed up my work? i been ready alittle on the subject and it seem to me it is an interesting subject , but erelavant to my working life. am i wrong? is it worth the effort for me to learn this subject? thanx

Return to posts index

Greg BurrusRe: are expressions useful?
by on Jul 17, 2011 at 5:54:34 pm

I would say expressions are indeed useful, especially for tasks that are dull or repetitive. I'm sure you could make or there might be one already that divides layers by markers and splits them. There is one already that I use that uses markers to render out still frames.

Depending on your how much your into it, it might be worth learning or at least gain an understanding enough to customize expressions. If you don't feel the urge to learn you can check out sites like that make use of expressions and other AE scripts to improve your workflow.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps somewhat.

Greg - Blog - Portfolio

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: are expressions useful?
by on Jul 17, 2011 at 5:55:09 pm

Scripts may be of more use to you in the types of projects you mentioned.
Here's a good resource:
Expressions are great as well but for other things.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: are expressions useful?
by on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:19:28 pm

Here's the difference between an expression and a script (from About expressions [link] in the documentation):
An expression is a little piece of software—much like a script—that evaluates to a single value for a single layer property at a specific point in time. Whereas scripts tell an application to do something, an expression says that a property is something.

Expressions are evaluated for every single frame that the layer is active, so they must return a value for all values of time (like a function in math).

In other words, expressions let you do things you could also do with keyframes; scripts let you do things you could otherwise do with the AE UI.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved