ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Most bizarre Interlacing Issue ever encountered

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha EngelMost bizarre Interlacing Issue ever encountered
by on Jul 16, 2011 at 8:02:02 pm

Hi Everybody,

I got a really strange problem - trying to figure it out for the last 48 hours, doing every test possible - now I am at the end of my wisdom. Help me, wizards of the Holy COW!
Here's the issue:

I got footage shot on Panasonic HPX174, in HD 1920*1080 and I was told its's shot Progressive 25fps.
WHen I ingested all the material, it all was working well.
Then I had a section, which had to be 30% slow Motion, so I did that in AE with Twixtor and it somehow looked crap, then I tried the same thing in Motion with Optical Flow and it had this awkward jumpy always 1 step back in time feeling, what you usually get, when you render out stuff with the wrong field order.
So, I opened the source footage in QT Player and player there with toggling on and of the De-Interlacing function: Et voila: I saw it jumping from full frame to an interlaced pic with lines - which usually indicates me it's Interlaced footage. So I thought the DOP made a mistake, took the footage into AE and wanted to de-interlace it with MB, but nada, always gets stuck - which the Bullet usually never does and also: AE does not give any indication that it actually is interlaced.
What can I do?
I included some video showing the problem.
Thanx for any help.
I have a deadline in 2 days :-(

Sascha

Return to posts index

Sascha EngelRe: Most bizarre Interlacing Issue ever encountered
by on Jul 16, 2011 at 8:14:11 pm

Here the footage

Same with Twixtor in AECS4

With Optical Flow in Motion

Return to posts index

Eddie TorreRe: Most bizarre Interlacing Issue ever encountered
by on Jul 16, 2011 at 9:16:15 pm

Did you take the native footage and use the Interpret Footage box?

It looks like some sort of pulldown has been introduced at some point.

If I'm not mistaken, certain Panasonic cameras coupled with certain recording modes, introduce pulldown during recording.

Hard to tell without seeing the native footage (without speed effects).

I'm sure somebody could speak to this issue better, but hopefully that helps a bit.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2011 at 9:25:42 pm

Which interpret footage box you refer to ?
Where can the pull down hav come into the game?
The material was transferred by another editor before me in FCP 7 with log & transfer tool.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Most bizarre Interlacing Issue ever encountered
by on Jul 16, 2011 at 9:45:02 pm

Depending on the log and transfer settings and conversion in FCP interlacing and Pulldown could be introduced to the footage.

This may help: http://www.artbeats.com/assets/articles/pdf/managing_interlaced_footage.pdf

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2011 at 9:57:00 pm

Thanx, I will check this article.
But I also tried to re-log & transfer the footage again myself, since I have to original P2 Card Footage.
As far as I remember I did not apply any pull down and also the footage was supposed to be progressive originally.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Steve TharpRe: Most bizarre Interlacing Issue ever encountered
by on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:11:40 pm

Sascha,

I'd suggest looking at your clip's interpretation settings in AE. (Select the clip in your asset bin, then go to file -> Interpret Footage -> Main) Sometimes depending on the clip, AE's interpretation will get a little funky. Frame rates could be off, pixel aspect ratio could be wrong, and interlacing could be set to something weird. That's the first place I'd check.

Thanks,

Steve Tharp
Art Director
Point7West
http://point7west.com

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:21:58 pm

Hi, thanx. I did that of course as a first thing on my quest.
I figured it out by now: I was handed the material Log&Transfered in FCP - from which I exported it - still believing it was 25p. Then I imported in AE and did my thing with the TWIXTOR.
Getting the bad results - I tried to tweak everything possible in AE.
Until I got back in the process - re-captured the footage from the card as Upper Field, exported from FCP as Upper, De-interlaced it in AE and then Twixtorized it....et voila - now it works, but I definately could kill the guy who caused me all that extra sweet hours on my machine ;-)

Sascha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]