ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Noise removal on DSLR footage tips & techniques

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
Noise removal on DSLR footage tips & techniques
on Jul 16, 2011 at 2:05:33 pm

Hi
Probably the 'best' tip would be to get a better camera but that's not an option for me right now:)
It seems Neat video makes a very good product, but downloaded the 'home' version demo and found out it only works in 8bpc.
I get a message in a pop-up
'Please purchase a license for the Pro edition to enable high-bitdepth rendering'

So apparently if you want higher bit depths you need to get the 'pro' version at twice the price.
Is it worth it?

For the same price as the 'home 'version of Neat you can also get Magic Bullet DeNoiser.

I know its recommended practice to remove noise as a first step in your post workflow and also to work in a bit depth greater than 8 bits but are there any other specific tips , techniques, or settings users can share on the topic of noise removal in AE?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Noise removal on DSLR footage tips & techniques
on Jul 16, 2011 at 3:00:16 pm

[jim bachalo] "...are there any other specific tips , techniques, or settings users can share on the topic of noise removal in AE?"

Yes: USE PROPER LIGHTING. It solves a world of problems, and separates professionals from amateurs. Which are you?

"I can't afford it yet" is an indication that you're not yet ready to play with the Big Boys.

You probably didn't want to hear that, bit there's a lot of truth in it. If it's breaking news, you get a pass on using available light. If it isn't, you don't.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Jul 16, 2011 at 4:30:02 pm

Thanks Dave.
Unfortunately yes I am referring to available light.
I'm doing some dusk exterior shots of buildings with a 7D...and can't afford the portable suns it would take to light.
And I am saving for a Red Scarlet (assuming it will get released sometime)

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Barend Onneweer
on Jul 16, 2011 at 5:43:39 pm

Actually even well-lit 5D footage benefits from a denoising pass using Neat Video. Partly for the noise from the chip, but more to remove a lot of compression artefacts. I'm working on a feature film that was shot beautifully, mostly on a 5D, and Neat Video is really effective in cleaning up the material without losing any detail. The resulting image leaves a lot more potential for color grading.

As a matter of fact I often end up denoising Red footage if I'm doing chromakeying.

Neat Video is pretty amazing, especially for its price.

Barend

Raamw3rk - digital storytelling and visual effects

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Jul 16, 2011 at 6:09:09 pm

Thanks
Will do some tests with the pro demo. One thing I noticed is how SLOW denoising is, though from what I've read MB denoiser is slower than Neat. In AE I guess that means to either prerender, or turn it off until you're ready to render.

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Alex Serban
on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:27:53 am

Dave, no need to attack novices on this forum. Because someone can't drop $100 on a plugin that performs one task doesn't mean they aren't worthy of real advice, which you couldn't supply.

Sascha, I use the Remove Noise effect which is built right into AE. The results are great, and free, though the render is long and painful.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 16, 2011 at 8:24:05 pm

Hi Jim,

sorry to read the things up there...but hey Dave, please, chill out! A bit less judgmental would be great. Don't forget - the film Monsters was shot with A Sony EX3, it's not all about being a big player! It's about creativity and ideas - my first short film I won a price for - I had no clue and made many mistakes of an amateur, but I still watch it today it has more heart & soul than half of the "big player" Hollywood productions out there! Why so much aggression and attacking here?

Well, to your Q: I used in many cases the MB De-noiser and got very decent results. Happy with what it did.
Just terrible long rendering times so you better be patient like Yoda or you have a machine fast like the Millenium Falcon!

Good Luck!

Sascha

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Jul 20, 2011 at 12:12:17 pm

Sascha
How does the built in remove grain feature compare with DeNoiser?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 20, 2011 at 12:26:04 pm

I woould have to check. I do remember though I did a test between all the Denoisers I have in FCP - it was 4-5 (NI, TMTS, PHYX) and the one from MAgic Bullet beat them all by far. In no other Denoiser I did dind such an high amount of regaining smoothness in the image without too much bluring and loss of focus.

Greetings,

Sascha

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Aug 12, 2011 at 5:42:12 pm

I just purchased the Pro version for AE and I have a few questions after reading this thread in terms of optimal settings. attached are some screen grabs of how I have it setup to take in and remove grain on my Color renders (10 bit floating) ProResHQ 23.98fps shots.

any help would be great and also do you guys just drop on the effect or do you actually fine tune in options?

wouldl ove to know best practices and settings as I have a bunch of shots to remove dslr noise from.
cheers
Andrew

MacPro 4,1 OSX 10.6.8 / FCS3 / CS5
2.26 ghz 8-core / 24GB RAM
Nvidia GT 120/285 combo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]