ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Blending Mode Madness (Color Mode and Alpha Blending)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle PetersBlending Mode Madness (Color Mode and Alpha Blending)
by on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:02:29 pm

Okay, here's my problem. I created an object in Photoshop with an alpha channel, saved as a PNG. In AE, I am trying to apply a bit of color correction to it using a Solid layer with a Color Blending Mode. I'm using the PNG's alpha as a Track Matte, so the alpha should be identical to the layer beneath it.

However the issue arises with the blending of this layer onto the layer beneath. There is a slight "halo" effect.

I did a bit of research and found that this is a common phenomenon because the Alpha is added to the layer beneath it. AE Help suggests using the Alpha Add mode to get rid of this haloing effect.

So - How do I use the Alpha Add mode in conjunction with the Alpha Add mode?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Blending Mode Madness (Color Mode and Alpha Blending)
by on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:38:25 pm

there are a couple ways... the easiest at this point is probably to release the track matte for the color layer (layer 2) and then check the 'T' option right next to the track matte dropdown.

the 't' option will tell ae that that layer is to take on the transparency of the layer(s) below it, in this case the layer 'right lamp 2'.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kyle PetersRe: Blending Mode Madness (Color Mode and Alpha Blending)
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 3:02:17 am

I gave the T option a try, but I don't see a difference between using the T option and using a Track matte...

Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]