ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS4 and CS5 on the same machine?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph W. BourkeCS4 and CS5 on the same machine?
by on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:08:49 pm

Here's my quandry (and not a bad one to have): I've been using CS4 Production Premium on my quad core machine with 8GB of RAM and Vista 64 bit for some time. It's working just fine.

I just bought a separate seat of CS5 Master Suite for installation on my ThinkPad W510 i7 with 16GB of RAM and Windows 7. While the laptop is working out well, I'd also like to install the CS5 versions of AE and PPro on my older machine, since I'm more comfortable working long days on the desktop than the laptop.

The question is, can CS4 and CS5 AE and PPro co-exist on the same machine? Are there likely to be problems? I will never be running the two versions at the same time, but want to be sure I don't break my install of CS4 by installing CS5. There's no licensing issue here, since the two packages are separate purchases, not an upgrade. Thanks.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CS4 and CS5 on the same machine?
by on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:17:58 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "can CS4 and CS5 AE and PPro co-exist on the same machine?"

Indeed they can, sir. I have both CS4 Production Premium and AE CS5 on my Win7 box at home. They coexist nicely.

And you're no doubt aware that a mere 8 gigs can really cramp AE CS 5's style. And don't forget to run any updates once CS5 is installed.

And eat your peas. And don't slouch. And close the door behind you, were you brought up in a barn?

Enough nagging.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS4 and CS5 on the same machine?
by on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:19:46 pm

Dave, I see you and I are on the "same post, seconds apart" plan today.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS4 and CS5 on the same machine?
by on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:18:14 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "The question is, can CS4 and CS5 AE and PPro co-exist on the same machine? Are there likely to be problems? I will never be running the two versions at the same time, but want to be sure I don't break my install of CS4 by installing CS5. There's no licensing issue here, since the two packages are separate purchases, not an upgrade. Thanks."

Yes, they will co-exist just fine. They must be installed in order, though -- first CS4, then CS5.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: CS4 and CS5 on the same machine?
by on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:26:22 pm

Same here- CS4 and CS5 on Windows XP and on Windows 7 and on Snow Leopard... no issues.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: CS4 and CS5 on the same machine?
by on Jul 15, 2011 at 6:29:22 pm

That's great to hear! I know the RAM on my desktop box is really on the low end for CS5, but I'm not going to be throwing too much at it right away - mostly going to be getting a handle on some of the new CS5 features in AE and PPro.

And it will give me time to get used to using the laptop, which I now have hooked up via DisplayPort to a monitor, and a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, in addition to my Wacom tablet. It just takes a while to get used to a laptop when working with the Adobe Suites, but I'll manage it. Not as tough as getting one's head around FCPX, I gather.

For Dave, who tells me to eat my peas:

I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on my knife.

Thanks to all!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>