ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Moving text behind a cityscape building.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Javier SalinasMoving text behind a cityscape building.
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:35:26 pm

Hi there,

I have a heli shot of a cityscape (close up) and I would like to animate a title (just moving across from right to left) behind one of the buildings so it looks like is integrated with the pictures (I've seen it a lot).

This is what I'd do: keyframing the building (which zooms out with the shot)with a mask.

The question is: where should the mask be applied on? shot? text? Null object?

Is that the simplest way to do it? Would track motion make it easier? Maybe parenting the tracking to the mask to copy the zoom out movement? I'm not sure you can do that...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Moving text behind a cityscape building.
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:47:22 pm

It depends a lot if you have a move that can be "faked" in 2d or if you require a 3d camera match. In the first situation, Mocha can help- here's a tutorial on that:
For the second you need a 3d tracker - Camera Tracker from the Foundry, SynthEyes or Boujou- to extract the camera info. Then you can position your text in 3d to match the perspective change and mask the building that needs to be in the front, in order to comp that back on top of the text.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Moving text behind a cityscape building.
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:51:35 pm

Get yourself AE 10.5, aka CS 5.5. Use Rotobrush.

Don't think for one moment you can use Rotobrush intuitively. You'll have to read about its use, watch the tutorials on Adobe's web site, practicw a bit and use AE's online help for reference. Sopeaking of the online help, a host of fine instructive materials will show up when you search for the word rotobrush.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Javier SalinasRe: Moving text behind a cityscape building.
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:00:31 pm

Thank you both!
Tudor, is more 2D than 3D.
Dave, I'll give it a go to Rotobrush.
Honestly I don't think I got the time to do it properly so I'll try a different solution and come back later and learn how to do it.
Is funny how underestimated is this job. People doesn't understand how much work is behind. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved