ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Clone stamping to clean a green screen shot?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas HannenClone stamping to clean a green screen shot?
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 3:43:54 pm

I have a locked off green screen shot with excessive shadow in one area. Unfortunately the person being filmed walks through that area. I can clone stamp some green into the shadowy part, but when he walks though, I thought there was a way to tell AE to replace the pixels if they change dramatically...

I remember seeing a tutorial on this somewhere, with a guy walking down an alleyway past a car, but I can't find it now! I realise I could animate a load of masks, but I thought there might be a better way?

Also, I'm using CS4, so I suspect that makes it harder (no rotoscoping tool?).

Anyway, any advice would really be appreciated. Screen grab below, with red circles around the problem area...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Clone stamping to clean a green screen shot?
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 3:52:31 pm

Unless you really like to rotoscope, you might want to chalk this shoot up to experience, and valuable experience at that: namely, it pays to do tests before you do the real thing.

Clone Stamp will do you no good: remember, your subject is moving -- you'd have to roto the clone stamp work, too.

So take your pick: rotoscope or reshoot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Clone stamping to clean a green screen shot?
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 4:47:58 pm

This page [link] has tons of useful info for rotoscoping in CS4 - which is what you're going to have to do if you can't reshoot with proper lighting.

You might also look into the tutorial on Super Tight Junk Mattes [link].

You could try a difference key, but unless you were shooting with a camera that records in 4:4:4 color resolution and was shot with very low grain this often doesn't work well.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved