ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color Management-sRGB vs AdobeRGB vs ProPhotoRGB?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
Color Management-sRGB vs AdobeRGB vs ProPhotoRGB?
on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:03:49 pm

Hi
My source files are a combination of standard jpgs and pngs(sRGB I assume) as well as H.264 DSLR footage with AdobeRGB as a color profile.
My target output is monitor display at the moment.

I've read the 'safest' working space profile to use is sRGB, but its my understanding that AdobeRGB has a wider gamut.
Also, Adobe recommends ProPhotoRGB for 'digital cinema' purposes.

So confused, which one to use?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Color Management-sRGB vs AdobeRGB vs ProPhotoRGB?
on Jul 14, 2011 at 3:55:41 pm

[jim bachalo] "I've read the 'safest' working space profile to use is sRGB, but its my understanding that AdobeRGB has a wider gamut. Also, Adobe recommends ProPhotoRGB for 'digital cinema' purposes."

Pro Photo RGB has the largest gamut -- but if you use it as the working space, don't forget to properly set your output profile when you render.

Here's another benefit of floating-point (32bpc) processing -- it won't clip saturation. From the Color Management Workflow whitepaper [link]:
  • For 8-bpc and 16-bpc projects - Your working space will define the gamut boundaries of your project (that is, limits on how saturated your color can become). You don’t want to artificially restrict your color gamut if you intend to output files to a device with relatively large color gamut.
  • For 32-bpc projects - The gamut defined in your project is boundless. You do not have to worry about restricting colors to the boundary of the color space you choose as your project working space.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Jul 14, 2011 at 7:16:13 pm

Thanks Water.
One place I am still stumped is what happens when roundtripping back into PPRo with a color managed workflow?

Where and how do you tell Premiere how to interpret the dynamically linked AE footage so it previews correctly and where do you set the output profile if rendering in PPro(Adobe Media Encoder)?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 14, 2011 at 7:45:40 pm

[jim bachalo] "Where and how do you tell Premiere how to interpret the dynamically linked AE footage so it previews correctly and where do you set the output profile if rendering in PPro(Adobe Media Encoder)?"

Premiere isn't color-managed. If you're using Dynamic Link with PPro, you should precomp your main comp and apply a Color Profile Converter effect to manually manage the color going out from AE to PPro.

By the way, if you'd like to see color management in PPro as much as I would, please join me in filing a feature request [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:25:07 pm

Thanks, feared as much:) What a hassle...submitted the feature request.
No wonder most PPro users leave Color management turned off in AE!

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]