ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mask and loop?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph HillMask and loop?
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 1:06:54 pm

Hello all. I have tried searching for how to do this to no avail, so I really hope the solution isn't something I simply overlooked.

There are two things that I want to have happen in my video. Basically, I have a clip of three guys, one standing in the middle, the other two sitting on chairs to either side of him. As the middle guy walks forward, the other two stand up. What I want to have happen is to loop the guys standing up four times in quick succession, and on the fourth time freeze the video with them still standing, all while the middle guy continues walking smoothly forward.

I think I know basically how to accomplish part of this. I have my same clip inserted twice, the top one masked to show only my middle guy, the bottom one showing through. I am having two problems, though:
  • I don't know how to loop the bottom layer.
  • In my searches I have seen something about an expression which will do this, but I don't know anything about working with expressions. It almost looks like coding to me, and I am not a programmer.
  • I don't know how to freeze the bottom layer on a frame after the loop.
  • I know that I could just take a screenshot of the frame I want and add it as a picture layer and just trim the layer to extend directly after the clip, but it seems like there must be an easier way of doing this.
    Any help y'all could provide would be greatly appreciated. I have been wrestling with this project for nearly two weeks, and I very much want to get it finished!

-- TheOldDuke

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Mask and loop?
    by on Jul 14, 2011 at 1:42:56 pm

You don't need to actually loop anything. Now, do you want them to be standing, going back down, then coming back up? Or do you just want them standing then suddenly they're seated and standing up again?
    For freezing it, use Time Remapping. In fact, Time Remapping may be your solution for the whole thing. Read up on it in the help [link].

- The Great Szalam
    (The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Joseph HillRe: Mask and loop?
    by on Jul 14, 2011 at 1:52:59 pm

I'm sorry, I really wasn't very specific. I want the latter; for them to be sitting, then standing, then jump back to what they're sitting, so it's a sudden thing. This whole project is actually a music video for a song parody, of Lady Gaga's "Poker Face", and this particular scene is during the opening, during one of the "muh-muh-muh-maaw" sequences. I want to synch it up so that at the beginning of each of the first three "muh"s they're standing, and at the end of the final "maaw" they're standing, and then to freeze it there while the middle guy keeps singing. I will go right now and check out that link. Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Mask and loop?
    by on Jul 14, 2011 at 4:51:52 pm

Time remapping is what you'd want to freeze it. (There is a freeze frame option in the Layer>Time section that will do exactly that.)

As for the "looping", simply cut the layer and use copies of the section of them standing in sequence. If it weren't for the fact that you want the person in the middle to be moving smoothly through it all without the jumping, this could be done in your NLE.

- The Great Szalam
    (The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]