ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is there a way to force motion blur to be calculated AFTER a layer effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anna greve
Is there a way to force motion blur to be calculated AFTER a layer effect?
on Jul 14, 2011 at 12:10:08 pm

I have had this problem for a while: I have a layer with a zaxwerks 3d obejct, to which I have applied a glow around the edge the edge of the object.(so to calirify, there are 2 effects applied to the layer 1=zaxwerks invigorator, 2=glow)

I also have motion blur applied to this object. But after effects seems to calculate the motion blur first, then add the glow halo around the outside edge of the motion blurred shape, which looks weird and is not what i want. Really i'd like the glow to be blurred as well.

Normally, if it was just an image and not a zaxwerks object, I would just precompose the glow with the image, and apply the animation keyframes to the precomp, which would force AE to calculate the glow as part of the image.

However in this case the keyframes are inside the zaxwerks effect, so I can't precompose.

Is there any way around this??

thanks!

Anna

Return to posts index

Christian Wheel
Re: Is there a way to force motion blur to be calculated AFTER a layer effect?
on Jul 14, 2011 at 1:07:59 pm

Rather than using normal motion blur, have you tried adding the "CC Force Motion Blur" effect, either underneath your zaxwerks & glow effects, or in an adjustment layer above the zaxwerks/glow layer? It will slow your render down but might solve this problem.

----- Christian Wheel -----
Radio Host, Los Angeles/San Diego/Nationally Syndicated
Audio Production & Imaging
MS Visual Studio Developer
After Effects Enthusiast

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:26:41 pm

Christian suggested a great workaround for you -- I'll explain why you're not getting the results you want with native motion blur.

[anna greve] "But after effects seems to calculate the motion blur first, then add the glow halo around the outside edge of the motion blurred shape, which looks weird and is not what i want. Really i'd like the glow to be blurred as well."

After Effects calculates motion blur after it renders effects -- but After Effects cannot calculate motion blur for Invigorator directly.

AE calculates motion blur by identifying moving layers (not moving pixels), then sampling them at points in time in between one frame and the next. Then it blends those samples together. In other words, AE breaks a moving object in frame into a number of subframes, renders each subframe, then combines the result to simulate motion blur.

From AE's perspective, the Invigorator layer is not a moving layer -- it's a 2D layer with static position and anchor points. Invigorator does its calculations, then passes a flat image back to AE. All the movement with in an Invigorator layer happens within the Invigorator effect itself. AE doesn't consider moving pixels for motion blur, only moving layers, so AE's native motion blur will not affect Invigorator.

When you turn the Motion Blur switch for an Invigorator layer on, Invigorator itself does the motion blur sampling I just described, then passes the result on to AE as a flat image. Then AE applies your next effect, Glow, which glows the mo-blurred Invigorator layer, but is not actually motion-blurred itself, (again because the layer is not moving).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:18:07 pm

Here's a trick that I like for forcing motion blur:

Apply the Timewarp effect, set Speed to 100, enable motion blur within the effect, and use the manual shutter control features to adjust the motion blur.

(That tip is at the bottom of this page in After Effects Help.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jens Enqvist
on Jul 16, 2011 at 1:04:15 am

CC Force Motionblur also works after applying the Timewarp effect. As long as you pre-compose the footage.
The HD version is soon to be float compatible as well. Cycore FX HD

-jens

Return to posts index

anna greve
on Jul 17, 2011 at 3:56:44 pm

thanks everybody and especially Walter for your detailed and helpful replies!! Yeah I suspected the only workaround would be externalizing the blur as a separate effect somehow, so now I know!

thanks!!

:) Anna

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]