ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

internal temperature limits

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Busséinternal temperature limits
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 5:36:01 pm

Can someone point me to a resource which lists the safe operating temperature ranges for the internal components of an iMac? I'm using a quad i7, and here's some of the readings that I got last night while rendering an intensive AE project:

CPU = 131 F
boot drive = 139 F
GPU diode = 146 F

I remember my X-RAID had a max operating temp of 95 F before it shut itself down, so these numbers seem a bit high.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: internal temperature limits
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 5:37:14 pm

You're aware this is the After Effects forum and not the Apple Hardware forum, right?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brad BusséRe: internal temperature limits
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 5:50:36 pm

Is there an "Apple Hardware" forum here? I don't see it in the list.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: internal temperature limits
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 7:34:18 pm

i would check apples' site for specifics (or ask in their imac forum), but your mac will (should) go into deep sleep mode before the temps get high enough to fry it.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Adam McCuneRe: internal temperature limits
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 7:43:21 pm

Actually, just running into this problem myself, but not as steep of temps (that I know of...) Mine have been between 100-112

Mine actually went into "deep sleep" a few days shutdown. I blame the heat wave in the North East.

I downloaded smcFanControl (free) and have made a preset to kick up the fan on the CPU and GPU for video editing. It's a nifty little program. You can customize it and it tells you how hot your program is running.

Part of the make-up of the imac is that the aluminum body is sort of a giant heat-sink; the back and top of the computer do get hot to the touch, because it effectively cools the internals that way.

Writer/Radio host/Community Media Advocate

Return to posts index

sunny jhootyRe: internal temperature limits
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:22:10 am

the sandybridge processors in your I7 generate a lot of heat by design so those temps are quite normal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved