ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ink Bleed Effect (yes I know it has been asked before!)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francis Robertson
Ink Bleed Effect (yes I know it has been asked before!)
on Jul 12, 2011 at 10:48:20 pm

Hi, Don't know if this is the right forum for my question but if not maybe you guys can point me in the right direction

I want to create some nice ink bleed mattes like this...

http://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/681190/ink-blot.html

as used here...

and here...

Now I know this effect has been discussed to death on these boards, but all anybody says is "get some paper and ink and just film it"

Has anybody actually attempted that??

I spent all day in my kitchen today with ink, food coloring, about 10 different types of paper and cloth, some wet some dry. I tried diluting the ink, filming from below a glass table, tilting the table to make the ink run, I'm out of ideas.

The problem is that ink in real life doesn't spread anywhere near as quickly or as satisfyingly as it does in these videos.

If anybody has done this and done it well please get in touch as I'm tearing my hair out.

All help much appreciated.

Francis

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Ink Bleed Effect (yes I know it has been asked before!)
on Jul 13, 2011 at 3:29:47 am

If the real thing isn't satisfying to you because it's not fast enough, then use time remapping to speed it up. If you don't get the shapes that you want, assemble the sahpes that you want by compositing a few shot elements together.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Francis Robertson
on Jul 13, 2011 at 9:33:05 am

Thanks For your reply Todd, unfortunately there simply is not enough spread using any of the methods i've used to employ your suggestions.

I have a couple of centimeters at best.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 13, 2011 at 2:30:15 pm

The kind of paper really matters. You want a rough, fibrous paper; it's the fibers (actually, the miniscule gaps between them) that act as capillaries to pull the ink away from the center. Browse your local art store's paper stocks. I found that hand-made paper that I'd picked up at a craft fair worked perfectly.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]