ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Expression Order?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ocean Byrne
Expression Order?
on Jul 12, 2011 at 6:32:41 pm

I set up an expression to fade a bunch of 3d layers based on their distance from the camera, it works fine and all is groovy.

then I set up an expression to position those layers based on a slider, it also seems to work, and is similarly groovy.

EXCEPT - now the opacity expression doesnt work. It still thinks it's valid, but the opacity is staying at 0?

If I kill the position expression, the opacity works, is there some way I can specify to do the position 1st, and then think about opacity?

Waa! ?

Here are the expressions I have on every layer:

Opacity:
startFade = 1000;
endFade = 111;
L = thisComp.layer("Camera 1");
d = length(L.position,position);
if ( d > endFade )
{ linear(d,startFade,endFade,100,0) }
else
{ linear(d,endFade,0,0,100) }

Position:
[1824,1368, (index-2) * thisComp.layer("2008-11-07_19.02.19.jpg").effect("Slider Control")("Slider") ]

Any help would be much oblidged.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Expression Order?
on Jul 12, 2011 at 8:26:01 pm

I think there must be something else going on. Have you verified that the position expression actually positions the layers where they should be visible?

Dan

Return to posts index

Ocean Byrne
Re: Expression Order?
on Jul 12, 2011 at 10:03:22 pm

Huh, well that does seem to be the problem. Thank you sir.

I zeroed out all the X's and Y's of the picture layers and the camera and it seems to work.

I dont really understand though. Originally X was 1824 and Y was 1368 (center of the images)for all the layers and the camera, and the opacity expression worked fine. Once I added the pos expression though it went south.

Functioning now though, weather I understand or not. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]