ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Expression Order?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ocean ByrneExpression Order?
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 6:32:41 pm

I set up an expression to fade a bunch of 3d layers based on their distance from the camera, it works fine and all is groovy.

then I set up an expression to position those layers based on a slider, it also seems to work, and is similarly groovy.

EXCEPT - now the opacity expression doesnt work. It still thinks it's valid, but the opacity is staying at 0?

If I kill the position expression, the opacity works, is there some way I can specify to do the position 1st, and then think about opacity?

Waa! ?

Here are the expressions I have on every layer:

startFade = 1000;
endFade = 111;
L = thisComp.layer("Camera 1");
d = length(L.position,position);
if ( d > endFade )
{ linear(d,startFade,endFade,100,0) }
{ linear(d,endFade,0,0,100) }

[1824,1368, (index-2) * thisComp.layer("2008-11-07_19.02.19.jpg").effect("Slider Control")("Slider") ]

Any help would be much oblidged.

Return to posts index

Dan EbbertsRe: Expression Order?
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 8:26:01 pm

I think there must be something else going on. Have you verified that the position expression actually positions the layers where they should be visible?

Return to posts index

Ocean ByrneRe: Expression Order?
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 10:03:22 pm

Huh, well that does seem to be the problem. Thank you sir.

I zeroed out all the X's and Y's of the picture layers and the camera and it seems to work.

I dont really understand though. Originally X was 1824 and Y was 1368 (center of the images)for all the layers and the camera, and the opacity expression worked fine. Once I added the pos expression though it went south.

Functioning now though, weather I understand or not. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved