ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Too BIG

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isabelle LindauerToo BIG
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 6:16:54 pm

HI

I'm a newbie in After Effects.
I made a big clip, 60 sec. it's 2 G. Normally I do 20 sec. and it's about 500 M to 800 M.
When I want to view it in QuickTime Pro it's too big to work, I need to work on QuickTime Pro because it has the function to compress it. Because the final clip in .mov can not be bigger than 500 M.
I'm on a Mac and in my CS5 version of After Effects I don't have the FILE > EXPORT > QUICKTIME, I only have export to Flash or Premiere.
thanks

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Too BIG
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 6:43:02 pm

You don't want to export. You want to add your file to the render queue.

Here's a page [link] about the large file sizes and what to do.

From the question you're asking, it sounds like you really need to learn the basics of AE. Start here [link].

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Isabelle LindauerRe: Too BIG
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 7:02:29 pm

That's what I did to do this clip of 2 G, someone told me that I should go with Export to be smaller... So how can I do it smaller to run it on QuickTime? And a 1,5 G is readable with QT.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Too BIG
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 7:32:16 pm

Let's back up a little.

What do you have to DELIVER? What are your delivery specifications? What application will use your AE animation next?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2011 at 8:09:49 pm

I have to deliver a clip of 4098 x 768 px, of 60 sec in .mov under 500M.
I don't know what is the application the supplier use, but they only want a .mov. The clip will be use in 3 digital screens side by side. Like I said earlier, I made some of those clips before but they didn't go over 800 M. And then they ask me to take QuickTime Pro and compress it, and that's always worked before. But now QuickTime does not recognize the clip to be a .mov.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Too BIG
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 9:10:19 pm

[Isabelle Lindauer] "I don't know what is the application the supplier use, but they only want a .mov. "

That's nice. Did they specify a codec so they can play back this abnormally-large quicktime movie using their unknown playback device?

It seems to me you need to learn more about your client's delivery requiements so you can deliver the proper thing. Right now you have no clue.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Too BIG
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 2:49:35 am

[Isabelle Lindauer] "I don't know what is the application the supplier use, but they only want a .mov. The clip will be use in 3 digital screens side by side. Like I said earlier, I made some of those clips before but they didn't go over 800 M. And then they ask me to take QuickTime Pro and compress it, and that's always worked before."

Dave's right on that more details will help -- especially when delivering media for a non-standard display system.

Here are the things I ask about when delivering (or specify myself when I'm requesting media):

Container format
Resolution
Frame rate
Video codec
Video bit rate
Audio codec
Number/configuration of audio channels
Audio depth/sample rate/bit rate

For example, I might specify:

Container format: QuickTime (.MOV)
Resolution: 1920x1080
Frame rate: 29.97 frames per second
Video codec: H.264
Video bit rate: 15 Mb/s
Audio codec: AAC
Number/configuration of audio channels: 2 / Stereo
Audio depth/sample rate/bit rate: 128 Kb/s

[Isabelle Lindauer] "But now QuickTime does not recognize the clip to be a .mov."

Did the render actually finish with any errors?

Do you suspect some sort of 2GB file size limit error? What format disk are you rendering to?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Jul 13, 2011 at 2:11:27 pm

I will send the list to my supplier today, hoping that it won't take a long time.

No the render did not finish with any errors, I can read it with VLC.
See the picture for the info of the rendering.

Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Jul 13, 2011 at 2:24:07 pm

Does Quicktime Player give you a specific error when opening the file?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Jul 13, 2011 at 2:35:39 pm

Return to posts index

by on Jul 13, 2011 at 2:49:03 pm

Try rendering to an image sequence (you could start with the "TIFF Sequence with Alpha" output module), then opening it in Quicktime Player with File > Open Image Sequence (Cmd-Shift-O).

QT Player Pro isn't the best compression application out there, though, and some some containers or codecs place limits on output frame sizes, which may impact your ability to compress to a single 4098x768 video.

Some playback systems simply transcode oddly-formatted media like this to their own internal format; others rely on the media to be pre-split for each of the displays. The more you can find out about how this is ultimately displayed, the more help you can be to your client in preparing the media. If you can reduce the number of times your media is transcoded or modified, you can help increase quality on the final display.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Jul 13, 2011 at 6:14:50 pm

IT'S WORKING!
I did what you said and it work. The clip is now 18 G, but when I compress it it's 42 meg
Thank you very very much.
I will surly ask other questions later (much later I hope).
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]