ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Logo shatter

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter HammettLogo shatter
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 12:45:42 pm

Hello all,

I am trying to apply a shatter effect to my company's logo. However, when I apply the effect and then rotate the camera around the logo, I can see that the logo is not a solid, but in fact just two layers of the logo spaced apart by whatever the extrusion depth of the shape is. Is there anyway I can get AE to calculate my logo as a solid so that when it shatters the pieces do not look hollow?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Logo shatter
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 3:41:16 pm

I'd look up a COW AE tutorial on using the Shatter effect to create 3D text. You easily can modify the settings to shatter a logo.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Peter HammettRe: Logo shatter
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 3:43:12 pm

I did start with one of those, the problem is that they use a text layer as a custom shatter map. So I can use that to make a 3D representation of my logo, however, this does not produce a good shatter effect.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Logo shatter
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 4:02:33 pm

[Peter Hammett] "...the problem is that they use a text layer as a custom shatter map..."

...and this means it's impossible to use an alpha-channeled logo as a custom shatter map?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Peter HammettRe: Logo shatter
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 4:38:43 pm

Sorry for not fully communicating, I am pretty new to AE. But what I found was that when I used my logo as the custom shatter map that logo itself shattered, meaning each letter was a piece. However, the effect that I am looking for is to have each letter shatter into multiple glass or brick pieces. When I try to produce this effect the pieces are hollow.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Logo shatter
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 4:53:07 pm

[Peter Hammett] "But what I found was that when I used my logo as the custom shatter map that logo itself shattered, meaning each letter was a piece."

The shatter map defines how the layer will break; using the logo as the shatter map means that the pieces will be the letters as you've described. If you wanted to draw the exact shapes that the logo should break into, you could use a custom shatter map.

[Peter Hammett] "However, the effect that I am looking for is to have each letter shatter into multiple glass or brick pieces. When I try to produce this effect the pieces are hollow."

Skip the custom shatter map and use the glass or brick pattern as a good starting point.

The pieces should not be hollow -- is it possible that you're using a side layer that matches (or is) your background layer? Set the side layer to None and Shatter will extrude the texture all the way through.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]