ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Super annoying masking issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
malcolm DeSotoSuper annoying masking issue
by on Jul 11, 2011 at 3:36:10 pm

so, I'm doing a lot of rotoscoping and every once in awhile I come across an issue where I can't click and drag to select multiple mask points. Instead, when I click and drag, it moves the actual clip. I don't know if it's something I inadvertently click or what but it slows things way down and is really annoying!

runawaykitee.blogspot.com

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Super annoying masking issue
by on Jul 11, 2011 at 3:53:20 pm

You probably are masking a layer that doesn't fill the entire comp window. Just highlight the Mask Path property for the layer & mask in question and you're back in business.
Alternately, you could lock all the other layers in the comp, and then you can't select anything BUT the layer you want.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

malcolm DeSotoRe: Super annoying masking issue
by on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:16:15 pm

Oh! duh du duh! I should have thought of that

runawaykitee.blogspot.com

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Barend OnneweerRe: Super annoying masking issue
by on Jul 11, 2011 at 9:14:47 pm

Personally I prefer to animate masks in the Layer Window instead of the Comp Window, and having them side-by-side. You can't move the layer accidentally. But more importantly:

I disable the visibility of masks in the Comp Window so I can see an uncluttered edges, to see how the masked foreground behaves against the background.

And by disabling 'render' in the Layer Window while masking I can see the entire image - not just what's within the mask. I prefer masking that way, to judge where the edges are. But because the Comp Window is open also can still see the final result.

Barend

Raamw3rk - digital storytelling and visual effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]