ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Better Gaussian Blur in After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Jackson
Better Gaussian Blur in After Effects?
on Jul 9, 2011 at 7:09:01 pm

Hi CC,

I'm currently doing color and blur filter tests and the gaussian blur in After Effects is just pitiful. What baffles me is that the gaussian blur in Photoshop and Premiere are just fine. For starters, radius control and repeat edge pixels would be nice.

I've tried blurs like compound blur etc. but I really need the gaussian blur effect that's in Photoshop to be in After Effects.

Is there a good gaussian blur alternative out there for this application? I'm really chasing my tail with this thing and I don't really want to do all my effects in Premiere for pipeline sake.

Thanks for any feedback! :)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Better Gaussian Blur in After Effects?
on Jul 9, 2011 at 8:01:36 pm

Gaussian Blur works better at 16 or even 32 bit in AE. You can try Fast Blur or Camera Blur as well.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
on Jul 9, 2011 at 8:22:01 pm

Cool, I'll try to use only presets that are 16-bit or higher. Fast blur looks a lot more like what I'm going for. I couldn't find camera blur. Do you mean lens blur or referring to AE's shutter settings?

Thanks Ted!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jul 9, 2011 at 8:33:09 pm

Lens Blur- that's what I meant.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
on Jul 9, 2011 at 8:48:58 pm

Awesome. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 9, 2011 at 8:50:34 pm

See the post linked to from "About Blur & Sharpen effects", which is also linked to from the top of the section about Gaussian Blur.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
on Jul 10, 2011 at 12:49:45 am

That's a pretty good link. What's even better is the link at the bottom of it's page:

http://prolost.com/blog/2006/3/2/a-tale-of-three-blurs.html

I thought Fast Blur looked a lot like gaussian. I'll have to give box blur a test run as well since it sounds like it can function like a fast blur but has iteration control to make it more flexible.

Thanks Todd!

Return to posts index

Barend Onneweer
on Jul 11, 2011 at 9:42:53 am

Box Blur at 3 iterations is identical in quality and 'look' to Gaussian blur - although the 'blurriness' and 'blur radius' parameters don't match: i.e. Gaussian Blut at 5 looks more like Box Blur with 3 iterations at a Blur Radius of 1.8.

So Box Blur does everything Gaussian Blur does, and more.

Barend

Raamw3rk - digital storytelling and visual effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]