ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

'Best' as in most useful FREE or under $200 FX plugins

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
'Best' as in most useful FREE or under $200 FX plugins
on Jul 8, 2011 at 10:14:10 pm

Hi
Can anyone share their picks for most useful free and/or under $200 plugin(s)?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: 'Best' as in most useful FREE or under $200 FX plugins
on Jul 8, 2011 at 11:07:38 pm

For doing what?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Remington McElhaney
on Jul 9, 2011 at 1:05:14 am

Optical Flares is an awesome one, and it's $125 without the presets. Otherwise Particular is great, but it's above your $200 limit.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 9, 2011 at 3:16:17 am

I also like Colorista Free along with Magic Bullet looks but that will also be out of your price range.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Jul 10, 2011 at 1:30:45 am

As usual, Todd gave the best answer to your question ... AE does an very wide range of things and the very, very many various plugins for AE focus on specific tasks within that wide range. So, it's impossible to answer to what the "most useful" plugins are without knowing what they'll be used for. In other words, it simply wouldn't make any sense to tell someone that Color Finesse is "more useful" than 3D Invigorator unless the person has specified that they do a lot of color grading and no 3D work.

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Jul 10, 2011 at 2:49:37 am

Yes, more color grading and compositing than any 3d work.

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Jul 10, 2011 at 3:03:37 am

In that case, you really don't need to spend money on third-party plugins ...

Compositing is one of AE's primary functions so it has plenty of tools built in and also comes with Mocha, which is very good.

As far as grading, AE has plenty of tools built in for that too and also comes with Color Finesse. If you don't like Color Finesse for some reason, Colorista is great too, but it's more than $200. If you don't like either of those, the next step is really to go to a standalone grading program, which will be well beyond $200.

Is there some particular compositing or grading task you need to do that AE's built-tools and bundled tools can't do?

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Jul 17, 2011 at 1:56:55 pm

The thread seems to have been abandoned, but in case you look at it again, there's on other thought I'll add ... you may hear some of us who've been using AE since the early days refer to third-party plugins, but you might also consider that the typical trend has always been that capabilities for which we once had to rely on third-party plugins are eventually built into or bundled with AE (as with Color Finesse, Mocha and Cycore, as well as new tools like the Roto Brush, Puppet Tool, Text Presets, etc.). So, AE has made great strides in recent years and, while I'm not saying there is never a need for plugins, the need is now far less frequent and far more specific than ever ... if you don't really have a specific need, why waste the money?

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Jul 17, 2011 at 5:17:00 pm

Thanks David
One thing I am trying to do...there may be an easy way to do this with built in effects...is to simply create 3 distinct luma mattes for shadows, midtones and highlites of any given layer. Seems like something that should be easy...but I haven't been able to figure it out (except for a midtone inverted luma matte by duplicated the layer, applying the invert colors channel effect, and using a difference blend mode)

Any ideas? A luma matte plugin that allows u to create mattes specifically for shadows, midtones and highlites is what I need!

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]