ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Copying guides from comp to comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Temkin
Copying guides from comp to comp
on Jul 8, 2011 at 6:42:07 pm

Anybody know of a way to copy the guides from one comp to another - besides the obvious copying and pasting of all layers from one comp to another?

Mitch Temkin

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Copying guides from comp to comp
on Jul 9, 2011 at 7:43:57 am

What kinds of guides? Depending on how they're made, you may save an animation preset for your guides and then apply it as needed to new guide layers. For I have a shape layer animation preset that I use for some guide lines.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Mitch Temkin
on Jul 9, 2011 at 8:46:11 am

Thanks for responding so quickly, Todd.

I'm talking about the guides that you can pull off of the ruler - the ones that don't take up layer space in the timeline.

Mitch Temkin

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jul 10, 2011 at 7:54:10 pm

Unlike some other Adobe Apps (e.g. Illustrator, InDesign) ruler guides aren't live objects that can be selected for copy, paste, or deletion.

Following on Todd's suggestion, here's an idea:

if the guides are all the same, create an empty comp and use the pen tool to create the guide lines and use it as a nested comp.

Turn it into a guide layer to prevent the lines from rendering.

Return to posts index

Mitch Temkin
on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:17:48 am

Thanks Brian. A good idea, but I was hoping there was a simple way to copy and paste them ala Illustrator. I was hoping for a five-finger key command to do the trick.

Mitch Temkin

Return to posts index

Michael Heid
on Sep 2, 2012 at 7:07:10 pm

I've got a similar need. Sad they haven't found a less ghetto solution to copying the guides. The solution I've got is to duplicate the comp with the proper guides and then paste in all of the layers you need into that comp.

Return to posts index

Mike Damian
on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:15:03 pm

AFter googling this same subject I found this thread. I wish there was a way to do this easily as well. One solution I found is to duplicate the comp you want to use the guides from, and then select all and delete the layers. Now you will have an empty comp with your guides in tack.

p.s. - This is a very old thread I don't know if I am suppose to comment on old threads, but there still hasn't been a solution so I figured I would put in my 2 sense.

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Dec 1, 2014 at 11:30:03 am

Still no solution?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]