ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rotobrush freezes what it wants!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Cruzado
Rotobrush freezes what it wants!
on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:19:23 am

Hi everyone, I´m in a bit of a pickle here.
I´m using rotobrush to create a matte for a character, the clip is about 2 seconds long (for this particular shot, I have many, many more).
After I spent the usual ammount of time playing around with the brushes and strokes, the result is perfect as espected. The only problem is, when it´s time to freeze the whole thing, after effects only freezes 27 frames out of the whole 60. The other 33 frames get completely ignored, like I´ve never worked on them.(and I did! Like I said, if I scrolled back and forth trought the whole 2 seconds, I could see the magenta outlines just fine where I put them, until, of course, I use the freeze button) If I unfreeze it, then it goes back the way it was, perfect, and the matte works in the composition, but it´s unworkable that way(speedwise). The number of frames that actually get frozen seems to vary randomly depending on the shot (like I said, I have lots more). But they always stay the same in each particular shot, in this case, 27. I don´t know what is going on. Of course I can just render it without freezing it, but it is just a pain in the ass to have to wait for each frame to be recalculated again and again while composing. I tried with the 10.0.0.1 update to no avail. BTW, I´m running AE in a Late 2009 iMac, Core2Duo with 16GB of RAM, so I guess memory is not an issue. (plus, the system tells me I have 11 or more gigs to spare).

Also, the footage is HDV 1080i @29.97, but I get the little sign telling me that I have to set the comp´s frame rate to 59.something "like the footage", but the footage is 29.97! No mistake! Maybe it has something to do with the fact it´s interlaced and rotobrush needs to calculate each field as a separate layer?
Anyway, I did try and change the rate of the comp like a good little boy, and the problem remained. So I have no idea what´s happening inside my dear AE.

Could somebody PLEASE help me figure this out? Todd?

Thanks in advance!

PC users look at sex images on their computers.
Mac users want to have sex with their computers.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Rotobrush freezes what it wants!
on Jul 8, 2011 at 3:09:12 pm

Trying to use the function intuitively is the most common reason for Rotobrush woes. You really do need to look at the videos and read the instructions.

Once you can confirm that this is precisely what you did, we can move forward.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Cruzado
on Jul 8, 2011 at 4:35:52 pm

Thanks for your quick response, Dave.
I really did look at all the videos and read the entire "rotobrush manual" at Adobe´s site. In fact, like I said earlier, in some clips I don´t have a problem, and in some others, I do.

What bugs me is that the matte works, but AE won´t let me freeze all frames of it!
Otherwise, the tool works just fine, only thing is it has to recalculate everytime I open AE and look at any of those clips.

Perhaps I make a little video showing what´s happening, I really don´t think I´m missing anything, but just in case the obvious eludes me.

Return to posts index

Daniel Cruzado
on Jul 8, 2011 at 7:33:11 pm

Well, I opened my project, with all intentions of coping the rotobrush information to a new mask and see what happens.
Just to get frustrated again, I cliked on the freeze button yet again... and today it worked! Altought the sign stated "66 frames", whereas the clip is 32 frames total! Anyway, the only factor that changed was that I resetted my iMac. Perhaps when this glitch occurs one must reset one´s computer since reseting AE itself doesn´t work?

This REALLY eludes me! I´ll keep you posted if this happens again.

Return to posts index

Mike Siedlecki
on Oct 19, 2011 at 7:10:30 pm

Any additional advice on this topic? Having the same issues that you describe here. Some of the shots I am working with have no problems freezing. But others, won't freeze in full or at all. I'll try rebooting and see. Very frustrating. Am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Daniel Cruzado
on Oct 20, 2011 at 2:26:00 am

Sorry Mike.

I really couldn't fix it. For the two or three shots it didn´t work, I just had to wait for AE to recalculate each frame again every time I opened the project (and wanted to see any frame from that shot), for the other 10+ shots, it worked just fine. I recommend importing the clip and doing it all over again (If it´s not TOO long), or just bear with it till you render.

BTW, this effect was the whole reason I upgraded to 16GB of RAM.

Return to posts index

Mike Siedlecki
on Oct 20, 2011 at 2:33:16 pm

Thanks for the reply. Hope they solve this issue.
Maybe it's better in CS5.5???

Someone recommended this in the forum.
Copy the clip with the roto effect and place it into a brand new comp. For whatever reason it was then able to freeze correctly. Guess that's my work-around.

Hope this helps others too.

Best,
Mike

Return to posts index

Cristian Andrei
on Dec 21, 2011 at 6:36:10 pm

I had the same problem and I just copy pasted the layer containing the roto brush to another composition and it worked.

Return to posts index

Sam Hudgins
on Dec 29, 2011 at 11:35:52 pm

I had this SAME frustrating issue and could not solve it after re-boot and thought it might be RAM so I purged THEN tried to freeze and nothing. FINALLY, I realized it was in the clip that I cut down in the main comp.

So to use rotobrush you have to look ONLY at that layer and so you see the entire un-edited clip. In your comp you might trim it down or edit timing or change it at all and THIS is what affects the rotobrush's freeze. I did some heavy time re-mapping to fit my needs as well as cut the clip down (Alt+"[" or Alt+"]"). Once I realized this, I was able to kill the time re-mapping, over extend the clip in the comp window, and then render a proxy PNG sequence if needed. I didn't need to for my purpose BUT a proxy PNG would carry the Alpha and dramatically increase your render time for the rest of the workflow.

GL. HF.

Return to posts index

Mike Imam
on Nov 22, 2012 at 8:32:42 pm

I know this is an old thread but I ran into the same frustrating problem, and found the (simple) solution here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4315608

Looks like you need to have your work area over the portion you want to Rotobrush. Why they force this is anyone's guess but it worked like a charm for me. Talk about non-intuitive. Hope this helps others.

Return to posts index

Stu Hunt
on Apr 1, 2013 at 5:47:19 pm

I had a similar issue and discovered that the brush freezes according to the work area in the comp. Took me awhile to figure this out, since the work area doesn't usually do that much for me, unless I'm about to trim comp to work area.

Hope this helps somebody else...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]