ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Which Particle Generator do you recommend?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephane BonvalletWhich Particle Generator do you recommend?
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 12:16:12 am

Hello,

I am looking at buying a particle generator but I admit I am kinda lost. There are so many options out there. From what I read Trapcode Particular seems to be a classic. I was also looking at Cycore Particle World which seems to be easier to use but not as powerful as Trapcode's. Then what about Particular Illusion from Wondertouch? This one looks pretty cool too but it works as standalone (although they have a plugin version for AE but it's version 1.0.2 only vs version 3 for the standalone). Also I noticed that pIllusion was pretty hot on Creative Cow a few years back (multiple video tutorials + training DVDs) but it looks like this one has been pretty much given up since then.

Although I am sure I forgot to mention a couple more options, which product would you recommend? I am about to start my first project using a particle generator in AE. I don't want to buy something ultra complicated to use... but at the same time I want something that is very good ;-)

Thanks a lot for your input.

Return to posts index

Eric KirkRe: Which Particle Generator do you recommend?
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 12:43:04 am

I don't see in your post what you are trying to do with the particle generator but TC Particular is highly respected as one of the best.

And I have to tell you, Andrew Kramer from videocopilot.net just put up a demo on his site for his Element particle type generator. It's developmental but sounds very close to release. It is at http://www.videocopilot.net and just click BLOG and you will see info. Looks like blood droplets or something in the screenshot. lol

It is definitely going to be a force to be reckoned with. Oh, and for those that care, it takes full advantage of your graphics card.

Eric

Eric D. Kirk
http://www.kirkproductions.com

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Which Particle Generator do you recommend?
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 1:30:55 am

[Eric Kirk] "I don't see in your post what you are trying to do with the particle generator but TC Particular is highly respected as one of the best."

I agree -- Particular is easily the most flexible particle system on the market for AE. I consider it a must-have.

[Eric Kirk] "And I have to tell you, Andrew Kramer from videocopilot.net just put up a demo on his site for his Element particle type generator... It is definitely going to be a force to be reckoned with. Oh, and for those that care, it takes full advantage of your graphics card."

Element doesn't just take advantage of your graphics card -- it requires it. Element does all its processing with OpenGL. I'm really excited about Element, and I suspect that I'll consider it a must-have shortly after its release, too.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Which Particle Generator do you recommend?
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 1:39:29 am

Particular is great. No doubt. But it's not like there's just one "best" particle effect.

The Particle Playground effect's ephemeral property mapper is quite nifty.

The Foam effect is an often overlooked but powerful particle effect.

Et cetera.

It's important to know what you intend to do with a particle effect before we can tell you what's "best".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Which Particle Generator do you recommend?
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 1:48:17 am

[Todd Kopriva] "Particular is great. No doubt. But it's not like there's just one "best" particle effect."

True -- and I was nowhere near clear enough on that in my original post.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Eric KirkRe: Which Particle Generator do you recommend?
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 1:43:24 am

Appreciate the feedback and I stand "clarified". :)

Sorry, did not intend to imply that Element only takes advantage. Yes, it does require it. It is however (according to the demo) well suited for even an average card but nice to know that IF we have a high end card, anything to make use of that capability is nice.

And since I just installed a new Rad HD 6970 2GB, I'm happy about it.

Eric

Eric D. Kirk
http://www.kirkproductions.com

Return to posts index

David MathisRe: Which Particle Generator do you recommend?
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 3:15:55 pm

I would try the particle generators inside of AE first and see if they give you what you want. Trapcode Particular from Red Giant is a great partical generator but it does have a learning curve I am still learning it.

Return to posts index

Stephane BonvalletRe: Which Particle Generator do you recommend?
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 5:19:10 pm

Thanks a lot for your input. I forgot to mention what kinda thing I was looking for achieving... for the current project I am working on, you can see it in this video tutorial (Rob using Particle World).

I didn't know of Videocopilot.net but checked their website. Element 3D looks awesome... just dunno when it will be available.

Thank you again very much :-)

Return to posts index

Stephane BonvalletRe: Which Particle Generator do you recommend?
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 5:20:23 pm

oops... forgot to attach the link of the tutorial. Here it is:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/mize_rob/AE-Particle-World-Transiti...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]