ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Thoughts on Colorista 2

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachaloThoughts on Colorista 2
by on Jul 7, 2011 at 8:15:35 pm

Would love to hear from any Colorista2 fans and experts. Is it worth the purchase when you already have powerful (and free) plugins like Color Finesse?

What additional features does Colorista2 have or how does it enable a more creative or productive workflow?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Thoughts on Colorista 2
by on Jul 7, 2011 at 8:37:27 pm

Technically, I am not sure I can point out a plus. I do find Colorista more intuitive though and with Colorista 2 I discovered a lot more options with the same ease of use.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Thoughts on Colorista 2
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:04:35 am

I can think of a few features Colorista II has that I don't believe Color Finesse does (though I'm happy to be corrected if I've missed something):
  • Power masks for secondaries
  • GPU acceleration
  • The Pop slider (local contrast adjustment)

Personally, I absolutely love Colorista II. The controls are very intuitive, the keyer is pretty nice, the output is clean, and the renders are fast. It's a great tool, if you don't mind the workflow challenges of grading in AE.

Jim, if you're serious about color and you're on a Mac, you should think about DaVinci Resolve. It's incredibly powerful and offers a far better workflow for grading than AE does. The free "lite" version should be out soon if you want to kick the tires.

Of course, there's also the Baselight plugin for FCP just around the corner... it's an exciting time to be a colorist.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

jim bachaloRe: Thoughts on Colorista 2
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:13:44 am

Thanks! Will keep a lookout for the Lite version.
Just picked up 'Adobe® After Effects® CS5 Visual Effects and Compositing Studio'. The older forward by Stu Maschwitz is alone worth the cost of the book, where he argues very eloquently about the importance of 'making it look good' vs 'making it look real'.

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved