ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Re-linking a lot of Photoshop Layers in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian MurphyRe-linking a lot of Photoshop Layers in AE
by on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:25:53 pm

Hey all, I have a PSD that continues to change as the client sends it to me again and again. Thing is, the PSD has about 90 layers in it and to select each one of those and relink them in AE is insane. Anyone know how to do this in one shot?

Thanks,
Brian

Return to posts index

Paul RoperRe: Re-linking a lot of Photoshop Layers in AE
by on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:30:20 pm

Assuming the layer order or number of layers hasn't changed, just select all the layers in the project panel, right-click and choose 'reload footage'. Failing that, closing and re-opening the project will do it.

- Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Re-linking a lot of Photoshop Layers in AE
by on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:40:46 pm

Sorry, no. When you import a Photoshop document into AE as a comp, it's assumed that the psd is pretty much a done deal, and only changes to the existing layers can be made. It's certain no additional layers will automatically show up as the document is modified!

If the client insists on continuously adding new layers, I'm afraid you're stuck doing it the way you're doing it.
If, however, the client can accept flattening all the old layers before new ones are added, you would have a much better time of it: import as a comp, copy the new layers, and paste them into your existing AE comp.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul RoperRe: Re-linking a lot of Photoshop Layers in AE
by on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:12:29 pm

Yes, if the client adds new layers, it's a bit of a nightmare.

If when you bring in your Photoshop document, if you choose 'document size' for the layers (not 'layer size') then if the clients add/remove elements from a layer, or change the size of something on that layer, it shouldn't screw up your positioning (quite as much!).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]