ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motion tracking question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt DarnallMotion tracking question
by on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:48:38 pm

Motion tracking novice checking in.

I have shots of people walking down a street, and I'm trying to track a graphic above peoples heads. Ideally, I'd like the graphics to bob as they walk, and twist in 3d space if someone moves their head or walks at an angle. I have Mocha and the default AE tracker at my disposal. Are either of these capable of achieving this? I have a decent grasp on how to track in 2d space, but as far as tracking the rotation and angle of a persons head position, and having the graphic acting accordingly, I have no idea. Or would it be more realistic of me to fudge the perspective animation manually?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Motion tracking question
by on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:36:07 pm

Mocha and the AE tracker will give you 2d information. Depending on the shot you may be able to animate the scale and 3d rotation to fake a 3d move. Ideally a 3d tracker would be better suited for the job. Boujou or SynthEyes are a couple of the best- pricey though.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Eric KirkRe: Motion tracking question
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 12:39:04 am

I think another option, slightly cheaper is the Camera Tracker by Foundry which I believe is about $249. It is integrated right in to AE as well and really is fantastic.

Search in here for Camera tracker. I know there is a video from someone who did a little test. It really works well and I bought it myself as a result. It will do exactly what you are trying to do.

Eric D. Kirk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved