ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Replicate this effect, any ideas?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel WeaverReplicate this effect, any ideas?
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:57:46 pm

Hi all!

Watch this video and look at the effect at 0.08.

There is a globe that appears, and there are pictures that come out all around it. They are 'joined' to the globe in the middle by red lines.

I want to do a similar effect. I have a model of a diamond modeled in Maya, and I want the little triangle faces of it to expand out in a similar way as the clip I show. I want them to b e linked in the middle by lines, much like this. Kinda like a 3D exploded diagram.

So I want to know how you guys would suggest I start on this? Is there a name given to the effect/technique? Can I use after effects to animate the model or am I going to have to animate in Maya?

(Basically I want to be able to animate in just After Effects,because I can't animate in Maya)

Return to posts index

Greg BurrusRe: Replicate this effect, any ideas?
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:22:50 pm

One way you might be able to get this effect is using a plugin called for after effects. It looks like it might do it for you.

another idea might be if the shapes your using, the diamond, does not have any bent curves or bevels that can only done in true 3D you might be able to build it in After Effects in 2.5D. Then you don't have to animate in maya which doesn't easily integrate with AE.

You could create the link lines with particular since you need to be in 3D(2.5D) space.

I would do this in Cinema 4D and just have the picture items setup in after effects to change them easily.

I'm sure there are other and probably better ways.

Hope this helps.

Greg - Blog - Portfolio

Return to posts index

Daniel WeaverRe: Replicate this effect, any ideas?
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:01:59 pm

Thanks for your reply!

That plugin 'nodes' is exactly what I need to create. I need to be able to have it on a separate layer to my 3D render so I can edit it independently.

My reason for not being able to build it in 2.5D like you suggest is because I need to get a really high quality render from the model.

Thanks for your help :) I'll be sure to come back and show you what you helped me with

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved