ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Color Management in a PPro to AE workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachaloColor Management in a PPro to AE workflow
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 12:07:32 pm

Trying to implement Color management in the PPro to AE workflow. I understand the concept of color space and how to enable it in your Project Settings.

1 What profile should you assign typical DSLR footage (thru interpret footage)?

2 Is it considered best practice to ALWAYS apply the Color Profile Converter effect when using color management?

According to Adobe, video previews or colors in a Dynamic link workflow will always be in the Working Space color profile unless you use this effect.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Color Management in a PPro to AE workflow
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 3:30:29 am

I think that is all a fancy way of saying that Premiere Pro isn't color managed, so if you want to see accurate color in Premiere, you must manually convert video to the color space of your display device -- essentially baking the display's color profile into the media.

I would think that if your AE working space is Rec. 709, you should only use the Color Profile Converter if you need to display/export something other than Rec. 709 from PPro.

According to Rarevision [link] and this post by Gary Adcock [link], Canon DSLRs actually use the Rec. 601 color matrix -- not Rec. 709 or sRGB as I would have expected.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved