ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Alpha channel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Freedman
Alpha channel
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:09:13 am

Hey all,
This is a very basic question, but I'm wondering if you are able to add an alpha channel to a layer in After Effects (CS5). I've imported a video into AE and in the project pane I have clicked the interpret footage icon and all the alpha channel options are greyed out. I've tried the same thing with a solid colour matte which I created inside AE and in the interpret footage pane all Alpha options are greyed out.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Michael, London.

Michael F

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Alpha channel
on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:59:38 pm

What is it you're actually trying to do? Whenever I'm making transparency in a layer I usually use masks or track mattes.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael Freedman
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:03:15 pm

I'm looking to be able to create a transparency in a solid colour matte or any image/video that doesn't have an alpha channel already and then export it with that transparency. I'm new to AE so getting my head round it...

Michael F

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 6, 2011 at 11:24:11 pm

There are many, many ways to define transparency in After Effects. Michael told you of one. See this page for an overview of the major ways and links to detailed information about each.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Michael Freedman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 8:32:47 am

This is very helpful, thank you!

Michael.

Michael F

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]