ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Restricting a light to a single layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david paritskyRestricting a light to a single layer
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 10:41:43 pm

Hello! I'm very new to AE and I'm trying to create a flickering firelight effect on an image of a cave wall. I have my image broken into 4 layers in 3D space in order to create a panning down effect with depth of field. I have my light set as ambient and key framed the flickering but I only want this effect on the very bottom layer of my cave image, I can't seem to figure out how to get the light to affect only that layer and not the entire composition. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Restricting a light to a single layer
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 11:32:51 pm

You want to be careful using the following trick: separate the 3D layers on which you do NOT want the light to fall by putting them beneath a 2D layer in the timeline. The 2D layer can be positioned off-screen: it just has to be between the layers.

Mixing 2D and 3D layers is NOT recommended, but I think it might work in your case. But you'll probably get other recommendations, and they very well may be better than this one.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Restricting a light to a single layer
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:28:24 am

You can specify which 3D layers a light affects by designating the light as an adjustment layer: place the light in the Timeline panel above the layers on which you want it to shine. Layers that are above a light adjustment layer in the layer stacking order in the Timeline panel do not receive the light, regardless of the positions of the layers in the Composition panel.

Here's a tutorial by Eran Stern that shows how to use adjustment layers to make lights only affect some layers:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

david paritskyRe: Restricting a light to a single layer
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:42:44 am

Ah!! That did the trick! Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved