ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Horribly slow startup and issues.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele PoggiHorribly slow startup and issues.
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:51:10 pm

This is the next chapter of this post: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1002746

This is starting to be a mess. A.E. has an EXTREMELY slow startup that usually is able to crash the entire workstation. Mediacore takes ages to load, and scanning folders can be a real pain. The program runs smoothly once started. It takes 10+ minutes to open the program.

I have many 3rd party plugins, but not many Fonts and no Brushes. *uhm*..

My machine is a workstation HP Elitebook 8740w (8GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro 2800M, i7)

"Cinetica Video" post-producer.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Horribly slow startup and issues.
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:59:17 pm

Is there anything in particular it seems to stall on?

Have you tried resetting your AE preferences?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Horribly slow startup and issues.
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 7:00:13 pm

I looked at the thread you cited, and I didn't see any reference to turning off multiprocessing.

You might be surprised, but 8 gigs isn't exactly boatloads of RAM any more, and AE multiprocessing could be forcing your laptop into an untenable situation RAM-wise.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michele PoggiRe: Horribly slow startup and issues.
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 8:33:28 am

Thanks for the quick response Dave, your thought is interesting and I checked out: no multiprocessing enabled, sadly. The only option I changed is to leave 2GB for the other applications.

Any other idea? Could it be my Hard Drive or..?

p.s.: in post scriptum, just out of my personal interest, what kind of road do I have to do to reach your software/hardware knowledge? I'm quite interested in the teaching of, but I'm not sure how to move in that direction.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Horribly slow startup and issues.
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:46:10 pm

[Michele Poggi] "...what kind of road do I have to do to reach your software/hardware knowledge?"

Just read the forums. That's where I garner a lot of information. You'll note I give solutions to common problems, not the really tough ones. There are a LOT more knowledgeable people than me out there.

The only other thing I can think of relating to your situation could be how you installed CS 5.5. Adobe recommends that you install it with any firewalls/antivirus software disabled. Leaving them enabled apparently can make a mess of things.

If necessary, do a complete UNINSTALL, then a reinstall. Use an uninstaller, don't just drag it to the trash like I did (which now causes me problems galore), either one among your CS 5.5 applications or the system uninstaller.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michele PoggiRe: Horribly slow startup and issues.
by on Jul 7, 2011 at 11:15:25 am

Thanks a lot, I'll try to read more these pages, indeed.. And I could have created a mess. Having CS5, then installing CS5.5 and transferring plugins.. With of course Antivirus on. Mh.. The problem is, the Tough one, is that I'm working on a Workstation and very professional people, who worked for years on these machines warned me that is NOT that simple to clean/format them. I would really need some help here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]