ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adding Camera Motionblur & ease to rendered image sequences

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joey campbell
Adding Camera Motionblur & ease to rendered image sequences
on Jul 5, 2011 at 2:29:32 pm

Hi - I've just rendered a large/long animation in 3d max. I decided against rendering with motion blur as I thought I would have more freedom to add it/remove it in AFX. Is it possible to use a particular blur filter setting in order for AFX to apply the camera blur on an exported image sequence ?

I was also wondering whether its possible to add 'ease in/ease out' on the rendered sequence using AFX or would I better off aplying these to the virtual camera animation while in the 3d application ?

Any feedback would be great.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Adding Camera Motionblur & ease to rendered image sequences
on Jul 5, 2011 at 2:46:21 pm

[joey campbell] " Is it possible to use a particular blur filter setting in order for AFX to apply the camera blur on an exported image sequence ?"

there are 3rd party plugins that are designed to do a pretty good job of this (check out revisionfx's reelsmart motion blur, and there are several others).

to do it with the bundled effects, you'll have to try timewarp. set the speed to 100, then enable motion blur and set the blur as needed (i think it may use shutter angle settings).

it's not what the effect was inteded for, but it can add some motion blur to footage. an effect like reelsmart motion blur can do a better job.

[joey campbell] "I was also wondering whether its possible to add 'ease in/ease out' on the rendered sequence using AFX or would I better off aplying these to the virtual camera animation while in the 3d application ?"

you can do it in ae, but you'll need to use time remapping and frame blending (pixel motion), and it won't be as good as if you had done it in the original rendering app.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:44:58 pm

[joey campbell] "Is it possible to use a particular blur filter setting in order for AFX to apply the camera blur on an exported image sequence ?"

[Kevin Camp] "there are 3rd party plugins that are designed to do a pretty good job of this (check out revisionfx's reelsmart motion blur, and there are several others)."

I'm with Kevin on both counts -- Re:Vision Effects ReelSmart Motion Blur is wonderful, and smooth your camera animation in the 3D app before rendering.

The other thing I'd add is this: if you can render a motion vector pass from your 3D app, RSMB can use it for stunningly fast and accurate motion blur.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

joey campbell
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:59:38 pm

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>