ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Export problem (and a few others of course)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john sklbaExport problem (and a few others of course)
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 12:01:59 pm

Hey guys and gals.....

So here is my deal. After Effects CS 3. Running an Imac with 2.66/4 10.5.8.

Made an comp, 25-30 layers, a few are precomp'd so I'd have less and now I think I'm around 10 layers now. (I've read pre comping could be an issue so I'm stating there is some)

Every time I export, it locks up, and I get a long message about error size buffer, followed by out of memory.

The error about size buffer is frequent with this project when I try and preview and will on occasion, cause a save and lock up with after effects.

I've tried playing with all my memory caches. I've tried changing things in the secret menu. I've tried rebooting and only starting after effects. Nothing works. It gets about 75 frames into 150 and errors out every time.

Any ideas?

The animation is about 5 seconds long. It is 3d enabled, the only camera move is a wiggle. What other information can I provide to help solve this?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Export problem (and a few others of course)
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 12:32:57 pm

[john sklba] "What other information can I provide to help solve this?"

ram and multiprocessing settings would be good to know...

however (and i have to try and recall cs3 settings), i would recommend disabling multiprocessing (uncheck the option for 'render frames simultaneously') since you are having memory issues.

this should give ae as much ram as it can (up to 3gb) to the foreground process.

in the memory settings, set the max ram usage to the default 120%, and max ram cache to the default 60%.

if you still have problems, you can lower the max ram cache to 30%... if i remember correctly, less ram for cached frames is more ram for processing frames...

also, having as few apps running as possible will leave more ram for ae.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

john sklbaRe: Export problem (and a few others of course)
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 10:13:41 pm

4 gigs ram, no multiprocessing.

i've tried all that stuff.....and none of it fixed anything...still kept getting the image buffer error.

Got it to work by running it through the render queue.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Export problem (and a few others of course)
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 12:19:54 pm

yep... you should always use the render queue to render rather than file>export. there are a lot of advantages asside from helping with this image buffer issue (though, i have to admit i wouldn't have thought export to be the problem).

however, there are some occassions where you may need to use export... we still have an old peice of broadcast hardware that requires .dv files and the only way i can create those straight from ae is to use export.

if the image buffer issue pops up again, and you've exhausted what's worked this time. there are a few other tips:

decrease large image sizes. if you have large images, make them smaller by decreasing the resolution, using proxies or by cutting up the images (like into quarters, eighths, etc) and putting them back together in ae.

trim layers that aren't visible on the screen/camera. say a layer moves off screen and never compes back on, trim the layer after it passes off screen.

pre-render nested comps (pre-comps). use composition>pre-render to have ae render a comp, import it and replace the nested comp in any comps that use it with the pre-render.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Export problem (and a few others of course)
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 4:01:16 pm

Kevin gave great advice (as always).

I'll add one more workaround. Render to an image sequence instead of a movie, so that any failed renders can easily be resumed exactly where they left off. Once you've got the image sequence rendered, you can use either AE or QuickTime Player Pro to stitch the sequence back into a movie.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

john sklbaRe: Export problem (and a few others of course)
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 10:16:38 pm

Since I don't think you are talking about file>export>image sequence can you explain a little further on what it means to "render an image sequence"....like hit play and let the animation run through?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Export problem (and a few others of course)
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 10:27:25 pm

Under Edit>Templates, you can create your own custom Output Module: an image sequence. You'll find the proper settings. I personally recommend a PNG sequence.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]