ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Grading Red Footage in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schmidt
Grading Red Footage in AE
on Jul 3, 2011 at 1:59:18 pm

Hey,

I know that there is a lot of information on this out there, but I am a little overwhelmed by it (I have no experience with RED workflows at all, and have not used any of the RED-specific applications). For that reason I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction on how to do what I need to do.

I was given ProRes files that someone somehow created from the original RED raw files. I used these ProRes files to do an offline edit in Final Cut Pro 6.0.6. Now, I have been told that I also need to do the grading and have been given the original RED files. I would like to grade in AE 5.0, but I have no idea on how to do this in terms of workflow. If there is no easy way to get the edit from FCP into AE, then I am prepared to recreate the edit in AE (which would take me about 1 day). But how would I handle the RED footage in AE? It seems to be possible to just throw the RED raw files into AE and use it like normal footage. But on the internet there are a lot of mentions of other software like "Redcine X" or "Monkey Extract", etc. I am not sure what these applications do. Do I need them to get an optimal result? Or is AE CS 5.0 + the original RED raw footage all I need?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Grading Red Footage in AE
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:33:22 pm

According to this page [link] Premiere CS5 handles Red footage. It explains how. From what I've heard from those using it, Premiere CS5 cuts through Red footage like butter and is amazing to work with. So, if you have access to it, I'd recreate the edit there. It'll be a lot faster than doing it in AE. And you may fall in love with it and never use FCP again.

If you'd rather keep your FCP workflow there are tools like Automatic Duck and others that can help you get your edit into AE. Try a search for FCP to AE workflows. It's been discussed many times on this forum and elsewhere online.

This page [link] gives links for working with Red footage in AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schmidt
on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:45:42 pm

Thanks for your answer! With the state Final Cut is in right now I might very well switch over to Premiere, but not while this project is still happening. After doing lots more research I have decided to export my EDL form FCP and import it into Redcine X (which I spend all of yesterday teaching myself). I will then do primary and clip based grading in Redcine and after that, export a TIFF sequence for final grading in After Effects.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:07:12 pm

I can certainly understand not wanting to switch mid-project!

Here's an article on the COW written by a Final Cut guy who is making the switch to Premiere and what he found:
http://library.creativecow.net/kobler_helmut/FCP-vs-Premiere-Pro/1

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schmidt
on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:52:19 pm

Very interesting read, thanks for the tip!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]