ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Can I create these looks using just curves?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachaloCan I create these looks using just curves?
by on Jul 3, 2011 at 11:58:15 am

From an earlier thread.

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Can I create these looks using just curves?
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:46:42 pm

Creating any sort of look is going to vary an awful lot depending on your source footage. You can have the best preset in the world based on one image, but the next image will look like crap using it.

Why are you fixated on using curves only? It's a very powerful tool, but I rarely use it by itself for extensive color work. You can't really adjust saturation with RGB curves and you would need to for some of these.

For the "wedding" one, you wouldn't even be able to do it with just one layer. You would need to duplicate a layer, blur it, play with the blending modes and opacity of it. And probably apply some effects to it too in addition to effects on the bottom layer.

You are asking about very different-looking color styles and each one will have a very different recipe depending on your source footage. In all of the examples you gave, the look starts with the way the source footage was shot first.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved