ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS5.5 doesn't like XDCAM EX mp4 format.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Holly WilsonCS5.5 doesn't like XDCAM EX mp4 format.
by on Jul 2, 2011 at 3:31:27 am

Hey guys,

I am the proud owner of a very nice (and expensive) copy of Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium. I am the editor on a short film, and I just spent $1,700 on upgrading my PC computer, including 8gb RAM, GEForce Nvidia 570 card, etc. Pretty nice machine.

Now the problem is this: I was given an external drive with all the footage from the shoot, which happens to be in XDCAM MP4 format. However, everytime I try to import it into Premiere or After Effects it says that 'the file could be damaged or an unsupported format'.

I've scoured the internet for answers, downloading the Sony XDCAM viewer, K-Lite Codec Pack, Quicktime codecs, etc.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to download the Sony MXF viewer too?

Thank you in advance for your help.

- Holly

Return to posts index

Robert ThalheimRe: CS5.5 doesn't like XDCAM EX mp4 format.
by on Jul 2, 2011 at 7:25:27 am

I've edited many hours of XDCAM EX in Premiere Pro CS5 and 5.5 and I had no problem at all.
-Did you import the whole BRAV folder (click 'import folder')?
-Are you trying to edit from a slow external drive?

You need the Sony software only to import/access the camera or SxS Cards and if you like to work with the XDCAM Browser...
NO need for any other software, codec or plug in to edit directly in PP.

If you still have trouble you might recheck the material you got.
I hope I could help you somehow.

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/premiere/pdfs/cs5-premie...

Return to posts index

Holly WilsonRe: CS5.5 doesn't like XDCAM EX mp4 format.
by on Jul 4, 2011 at 3:03:11 am

Unfortunately I don't have access to the original camera or cards - only the footage on a brand new external drive (which has now been copied to a 2TB internal drive).

The cameraman told me he used the Sony XDCam Transfer software to import the footage to the external drive.

The problem is, I've downloaded Sony XDCam Transfer, Sony XDCam Browser, Sony XDCam Viewer. I also downloaded all the Quicktime codecs I could find, including CCCP Codec Pack and K-Lite Codec Pack.

Nothing on my computer will read the files. It's not a case of the computer, external drives or programs being slow - all the programs (Avid, After Effects, Premiere, Sony Vegas Pro) just flat out say "error: unsupported file."

I read up on the internet that you could transfer the XDCam EX MP4 footage back into usable MXF files using the windows version of Sony XDCam Browser, but even Sony doesn't even register it's own file!

After spending the whole weekend with no result, I've finally resigned myself to borrowing a Mac and using Compressor to convert the footage into being 'Windows friendly.'

Which brings me to my next question:

How can I convert a XDCam EX MP4 file into a Windows-compatible file that will allow me to retain the same size and quality?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 4, 2011 at 6:35:01 pm

It can by read on MAC OS?
I assume that your files are not original.
(XDCAM EX.mp4 is "windows friendly")

As you installed k-lite, please right click on of your "XD CAM" files and click 'Media Info' and than copy the data here. And what does QT say on the mac when it opened the file? Whats the "Movie Inspector" say.

Again, for EX material there is no need to transcode or install any other software to edit it in Premiere. This is normally only needed for FCP...

If we find out what it is I might help you.

LG, Robert

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: CS5.5 doesn't like XDCAM EX mp4 format.
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 12:02:27 pm

[Robert Thalheim] "(XDCAM EX.mp4 is "windows friendly")"

yep... what's the container/file extension?

as robert points out .mp4 is rather 'generic', most newer players should play them (quicktime, windows media, vlc)... heck, it's what most of youtube is.

i have a feeling that if they are .mov files and these went through fcp, or the editor/photographer was using a fcp workflow, then they may have been converted to prores... howerver i thought that newer versions of quicktime allowed reading prores.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jul 5, 2011 at 12:29:33 pm

In case it's ProRes:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_W...

Return to posts index

Mari JenkinsRe: CS5.5 doesn't like XDCAM EX mp4 format.
by on Feb 23, 2013 at 6:22:34 pm

Same exact problem here, except running CS6. Unsupported codecs.

Calibrated is a codec that will fix it, but it's like $165. Funny that Premiere is able to brag about its XDCAM support when it's that spotty.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: CS5.5 doesn't like XDCAM EX mp4 format.
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:01:12 pm

Also, if do a quick forum search for stuff about the K-Lite codec pack, you will realize that you want to get that stuff off of your system as soon as possible. It will royally screw up your system.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]