ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Lunar eclipse stabilization

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toncho KostovLunar eclipse stabilization
by on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:10:21 pm

A problem has been making me think very hard in the last weeks, but I cannot think of a solution to it:
I shot a series of stills of the lunar eclipse on June 15. I decided to zoom in as far as possible with my 70-300mm lens, so I had to tilt the camera every 20 minutes or so, so that I still have the moon in my composition. I ended up with about 1000 stills and I want to make a timelapse using them, however I want it to show the moon still, only its state changing. And if I render my stills as a sequence I get the natural motion of the moon plus every 20 minutes it goes back to the beginning of the view (this is where I tilt the camera, so that the moon continues to be in range)... something like that -

However, I think that CS5.5's stabilize tools can help me get a result more like this:
I know this is shot using a telescope with a motorized mount, but I still believe It could be done in post. I tried "position, scale, rotation" method, "warp subspace" method, but could not do it...
At one time I thought I'd manually crop all the images, so that the moon is in the center of the frame and then try the stabilization, but it would take me a lot of time and so I abandoned the idea.
Could you please suggest something I should try?

Greetings from Bulgaria,

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Lunar eclipse stabilization
by on Jul 2, 2011 at 3:07:07 am

You might get a better result from the stabilizations if you cut your long comp into separate clips for each camera position, tracked them separately, then manually aligned the clips.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Toncho KostovRe: Lunar eclipse stabilization
by on Jul 2, 2011 at 10:57:41 am

Thanks a lot for the good advice, Walter! I will try this week after work and I am going to post the results!

Best regards,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved