ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Particular Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby DorranceParticular Question
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:34:27 pm

Alright. I have a camera move that I have tracked and applied to a null object(null 1). I have a null object(null 2) with a 3d path. And I have a particle emitter from particular. I use an expression to attach the particle's xy positions to the position null 2 and i use an expression to attach z position to the z position of null 2. I play back and my particles move along the path exactly how they are suppose to, BUT. I need to then parent null 2 to null 1 so it has its tracking information. Once I parent null 2 to null 1, nulls 2 path is perfect as it is the correct path and it also has the tracking information so it moves in the correct way as the clip plays. My problem is, once I parent null 2 to null 1, the particle emitter gets thrown out of wack because its xyz positions are parented to null 2 which is now parented to null 1. How do I parent null 2 to null 1 while keeping my particles linked up with the xyz position of null 2 and them not getting skewed because of null 2 being parented to null 1.

I know this is really confusing to read, but it makes sense. I just proofed read to make sure it was understandable.

Im sorry for the way this problem is presented, but I appreciate any input on how I can fix this.

Thank you,

Bobby D

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Particular Question
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:44:08 pm

It sounds like you need Null 2's world coordinates (not its local coordinates, when parented to Null 1).

See this thread for a possible solution:

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Particular Question
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 8:02:15 pm

Walter is right, and to make it simple you need to replace the expression on XY to

a=thisComp.layer("null 2");

and on Z to:

a=thisComp.layer("null 2");

...make sure you have the exact name of the null between the "".

Return to posts index

Bobby DorranceRe: Particular Question
by on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:40:00 pm

Thank you very much guys. Worked like a charm!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved