ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

after effects error: crash occurred while invoking effect plug-in "Curves"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Tredreaafter effects error: crash occurred while invoking effect plug-in "Curves"
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:04:51 pm

Hi, I am trying to render some compositing scenes in 32bit colour space, but after effects keeps crashing during the render, specifically about 4-5 frames in. I am rendering to a dpx, with decimal units. Also, if I open the file with capslock off, after effects crashes, with an error message about invoking plug-in "curves" I read a post somewhere where some guy unistalled all his apps one by one before it eventually worked, but I have just tried the file on a freshly installed laptop, same issue. I can drop it to 16bit, but client needs it in 32bit, otherwise there are bands during grading. I am using 64bit windows7, cs5, and the comps are basic keying roto, colour correction. I have tried to research this problem already, but came up empty handed. Can anyone help with this issue?

Thanks in advance.
G

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: after effects error: crash occurred while invoking effect plug-in "Curves"
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:27:02 pm

make sure you are running the latest update to your version of after effects.

also, in preferences>previews, make sure that the opengl acceleration option is unchecked.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: after effects error: crash occurred while invoking effect plug-in "Curves"
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:29:49 pm

What size is the comp and what are your computer's system specs?

My thought is that you might not have enough RAM and you might need to work on setting it up to purge more frames.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Gareth TredreaRe: after effects error: crash occurred while invoking effect plug-in "Curves"
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:36:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Im working in HD, the files are encoded with prores. Ram is not an issue, I think i figured it out while i was sitting on the train. I think the curve values get confused when moving from 8bit to 32 bit, I have a feeling I will have to redo all the curves in the 32bit colour space, then it might work. I just found out that i only have to render 10bit dpx files, that is sufficient. Will post back to inform if my other solution worked.

Return to posts index

Gareth TredreaRe: after effects error: crash occurred while invoking effect plug-in "Curves"
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:08:58 pm

It was a rouge "paint" effect, i had used to paint something out, causing the issues. That really makes no sense at all??? sorry for wasting your time.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:49:27 pm

There is a bug in AE cs5, when you paint in 32bit, it creates NAN values, which are evil guys that want to give you bad stress. This dude here; bless his soul, wrote a plugin to remap the colour values, sorted me out. http://fnordware.blogspot.com/ thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: after effects error: crash occurred while invoking effect plug-in "Curves"
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 8:01:56 pm

Thank you so much for sharing the solution. I'm sure this will help others in the future as they search the COW (and the internet at large) for such info.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 30, 2011 at 8:07:59 pm

no worries, the COW is always a big help.

I suspect that isn't the only issue that 32 bit has. I am having the issue in another comp, but it's not the paint effects this time.

I cant beleive more people haven't run into this, is it that rare too work in 32bit in AE?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 1, 2011 at 1:04:49 pm

I dunno. You should definitely file a bug report with Adobe on your issue. I'm sure it's something they'd want to look at.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]